• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MAilEnable vs SmarterMail

Randall Camacho

New Pleskian
My intention here is not to start a war between mail servers :)

plesk 11 for windows has ME as default. Can one assume because of this, it is better integrated and compatible with plesk than SM ? My problem is this, HostGator offers their windows dedicated servers with plesk 11 but then gives you SmarterMail professional (250 mailboxes) and told me the following that seemed alarming but questionable to me :

"SmarterMail is a much better Mail Server as that is the preferred mail server on our Windows Shared Server. We do not recommend it (ME) is because of it's lackluster security features. Also, the logging scheme isn't the most reliable option and because it has long term stability problems if it is not updated frequently. We also do not provide advanced support for Mailenable, so if something breaks are only options would be to uninstall and reinstall or refer you to the vendor. We also do not provide a License for Mail Enable, we as the current installation of Smartermail comes with a 250 mailbox Professional License. "

Are they pushing SM so i have to pay them for the extra mailboxes ? ME offers unlimited mailboxes. I would love to hear officially from parallels, their honest technical view/recommendation on MailEnable Enterprise vs SmarterMail.

Any kind assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
Randall Camacho.

It so happened that ME is better integrated and tested, as it is set to Plesk by default and all tests are performed only on ME. In addition, if you use ME with using our antivirus and Spamassassin (ME has not own), you can control functionality on domain level.

We are working on SM now, that would return support of his spamasassin (which is absent since 6 version) and add antivirus support.

Thus, we recommend using the ME.

what about security ?

Thank you for your reply,
but now you have raised a serious concern implying that ME is not secure.
Are you referring to the "standard ME" version ?
What if I install/upgrade to the "ME enterprise" edition ?

http://www.mailenable.com/features/anti-spam.asp#BayesianFiltering

will these features integrate/function into plesk ?
To take out parallels antivirus and spamassassin would mean another 2 sets of monthly bills.

Kind regards,
RC.

Back