• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Resolved Mailman3: Backup-Restore triggers welcome mail and takes a long time

Jan

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.62 Update #2
Hi,

I've restored a backup from plesk. The backup was restored on a new server to upgrade to Debian 12. Restoring the backup, I noticed:
  • It takes a long time to restore a backup. During that time, neither RAM nor all CPU cores were used. Watching ps, I noticed at a couple of processes were spawned per list and subscriber. This issue is not problematic per se, but the performance resulted in a significant downtime. IMHO it could make sense to optimize the performance of the mailman-restore process
  • When restoring the mailing-Lists, all users received a welcome-mail by mailman3 ("Welcome to the "NNN" mailing list!). It is embarrassing to spam users like this. Please make sure that restoring a list does not result in welcome-mails
Thanks, Jan

Hello @Jan

I would like to inform you that both cases were checked and two items were confirmed for them:
  1. PPPM-14517 (Regarding the generation of many processes during a backup restoration)
  2. PPPM-14515 (About welcome message after the restoration)
They will be analyzed be the development team and will be handled accordingly.
Thank you for bringing our attention to these issues.

We've released an update today which fixes the issue with welcome messages after restoration. If you have automatic updates enabled (and already run Plesk version 18.0.64) this update should be installed automatically overnight. Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64:
Restoring a backup in Plesk with Mailman 3 no longer sends welcome emails to all subscribers in all mailing lists. (PPPM-14515)

Thanks! I'm going to check it next time when restoring a backup.

... hoping that it might take some years before needing to so ;-).

Regards, Jan

Back