• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Migration error from 12.5 to obsidian due to ssh public key auth while using passwd

ufreier

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.47 Update #5
Dear community,

I tried public key auth on ssh connect for migraton first but the versions of openSSH/openSSL on source and target server are too different, so I "donwgraded" to password auth. However it seems that Plesk Migration Manager does not like it because it seems to continue trying to use public keys:

command: rsync -r --chmod=Fu=r,Du=rwx,go= --timeout=30 -e 'ssh -i /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20221129095211/ssh-keys/id_rsa.[IP deleted] -p 22 -o PasswordAuthentication=no [...]

that of course is answered with

Warning: Identity file /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20221129093900/ssh-keys/id_rsa.[IP deleted] not accessible: No such file or directory.

and migration stops. How can I convince Migration Manager to use password auth? I already tried uninstall / reinstall extension MIgration Manager without any result.

best regards,

Uwe Freier

Any Ideas? It can't be a big thing, I guess I have to switch from public key auth to password auth in any config file of Migrator manually because it doesn't get it from the settings in the web GUI.

Any hints are welcome!

Uwe Freier

Thanks for your reply!

This article describes the way upside down. I don't want to use public key auth because of the problems written above, I want to use password auth so the setting I had to change in sshd_config was

to: PasswordAuthentication yes

And of course I did it and made sure that one can login into the source server with ssh and password auth generally.

Now this matter becomes a bit strange. Because I couldn't find a solution yet I contacted Plesk Support (via 1&1 because my license does not allow to require direct support) and they refused to open a support ticket because Plesk 12.5 is end of life. How ridiculous! I want to migrate away FROM 12.5 and migrate TO Obsidian 18.04 and this is the one that causes the problem! I thought the migrator extension was made to migrate from older plattforms to the most actual?

The issue was fixed by Plesk support, thanks again for the advice! Technically on the target server there was a ssh directive missing (PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes +ssh-rsa), after that the migration was successfully via public keys. Okay, it was not a solution to migrate with passwort auth but at least it is a solution to migrate and this was my main intention of course.

Back