• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MySQL admin user

RubenL

New Pleskian
Before I upgraded to Plesk 11, I was able to log into phpMyAdmin as "admin", getting easy access to all databases. After the upgrade, my password isn't accepted any more, although it does work to log into the Plesk panel.

Has anything happened? Are certain characters not allowed any more?

Note that I don't want to log into the Plesk panel and go to phpMyAdmin from there, this is a standalone phpMyAdmin.

Sorry, but I still don't get it.

- My Plesk panel has an account "admin" with password X.
- I can't connect to MySQL with this admin account.
- When I look at the mysql > user table, I see the "admin" user but its password doesn't match the PASSWORD() encrypted version of my password X (new password crypt method with *).
- When I change this manually in the table, I can use the admin account to connect to MySQL, but Plesk is broken as it can't connect to MySQL itself.

Seems like a vicious circle: OR the admin account works in Plesk, OR it works in MySQL.

Last edited:
Ruben, you can't use the plain text admin password for MySQL. Instead you need to use the encrypted password stored here:

/etc/psa/.psa.shadow

In that file, there's a string like this:
$AES-128-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx==xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx==

Which part exactly do I use? The whole string doesn't work, each of the xxxx-parts doesn't work either.

The whole string works ...see:

# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 7271941
Server version: 5.5.21-cll MySQL Community Server (GPL) by Atomicorp

Copyright (c) 2000, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql>

Hi,
I've got the same problem,
# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`
works for me,
.psa.shadow:
$AES-128-CBC$6T7PvstAsgd8/trZASdsGnlDIw==$oagCBRpVBCB3Yasd2jIxSKb0bnjpCSXHnSnk6G

# mysql -uadmin -p$AES-128-CBC$6T7PvstAsgd8/trZASdsGnlDIw==$oagCBRpVBCB3Yasd2jIxSKb0bnjpCSXHnSnk6G
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

->There's no way for me using mysql from an other program.
(+ i'll have to change my sql password everywhere....)

Anyone here, who knows how to solve this?
Altec

If you want to give a program access to mysql, you'd add a user and password plus the appropriate permissions specifically for that application. You would not use the Plesk admin password. Effectively that's a "root" user with permission to do anything.

I'm *guessing* that it doesn't work when you copy/paste because there's a space in it. You'd need to escape the space or quote the whole password or something. I'm not sure what mysql would need you to do here. That's assuming the space really is a space, of course.

I use that password in other php programs simply by defining it as:

$dbpass = '$AES-128-CBC$6T7PvstAsgd8/trZASdsGnlDIw==$oagCBRpVBCB3Yasd2jIxSKb0bnjpCSXHnS nk6G';

Back