• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Not enough space to start backups even after changing the temporary directory to another disk

Denis Gomes Franco

Regular Pleskian
TITLE:
Not enough space to start backups even after changing the temporary directory to another disk
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.21 Update #4, Ubuntu 18
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
I started having problems with scheduled backups on one of my servers due to not having enough free space to start the operation. So I investigated the issue and decided to connect another disk to the server in order to provide such free space.

Then I proceeded to change the location of the temporary files according to this article: How to change default location for temporary backup files

My Plesk installation is now using the new location during the backup operation. But it seems that when it comes to the "Start the backup only if your server has the sufficient amount of free disk space" option, Plesk is checking the free space of the local disk instead of the new location specified in psa.conf.​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1. Set up a full server backup.
The server's main disk should have less free space than the biggest account's size. In my case the biggest subscription uses around 30 GB and the server has 26 GB of free space, Plesk then complains that it needs ~28 GB in order to continue.

2. Change the backup directories in /etc/psa/psa.conf as per instructions in the article linked above. The new directory should be located on a different disk with more space. In my case, that disk has at least 1 TB of free space.

3. Check that the new directory has the correct permissions, also as per instructions.

4. Run the backup operation.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
Plesk says that there is not enough free space to start the backup, even though the new directory (located on a different disk) has lots of it.​
EXPECTED RESULT:
Plesk should run the backup without any issues.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

You should change DUMP_D in /etc/psa/psa.conf too. It is main place where local backups are stored.

Hey bro, I didn't change DUMP_D before because I was uploading the backups to OneDrive using Backup To Cloud Pro instead of saving it locally.

You can create multi-volume backups, in this case Plesk needs 2 x volume size free disk space. But you always need at least 1 x subscription size to restore data from backups.

Yeah, so if I happen to host a 50 GB subscription then I'll need to leave 100 GB just to run a backup? I understand why, but it's completely unacceptable. That's why I devised a workaround: Input - How to back up to S3-compatible storages using S3FS-Fuse

In any case this thread was created only to report that Plesk still says there is not enough free space even after doing what I did in the linked article.

Also, I was using the OneDrive extension and it seemed to already compress and split backups into 100 MB files.

Currently Plesk checks free disk space in DUMP_D directory and really uses it. I am not sure you need huge DUMP_TMP_D directory in Plesk 18.

Well, that's the problem. The DUMP_TMP_D variable is now pointing at a different disk mounted on the server. Plesk seems to check the free space of the server's local disk and not the disk at the DUMP_TMP_D location. I needed more free space because I don't want to have a lot of space wasted on the server's main disk just so I can run backups.

Back