• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Oracle Linux is not in list of Supported Systems

Raakh5

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I was checking and found Oracle Linux is not list of supported operating system for Plesk.
  1. Can we install Plesk on Oracle Linux as I am trying for the last 5 days and too many errors whilst installing a fresh copy of Plesk on it. Please check my post of this link: http://talk.plesk.com/threads/xen-vps-oracle-linux-pfsense.336041/
  2. Is there any prerequisites for Oracle Linux before installing Plesk
  3. I need 2 Plesk license keys. Bought one from our hosting company but they said to not give support for Plesk and advised if we need support then we have to buy its key from Plesk website. If I buy a key from Plesk website then will Plesk provide me support?
Best regards

This is really strange that Plesk is not supporting oracle linux whereas OL is based on RHL and CentOS and Plesk supports both OS. Is there we need special kernel or prerequisites to install plesk on OL?

This is really strange that Plesk is not supporting oracle linux whereas OL is based on RHL and CentOS and Plesk supports both OS. Is there we need special kernel or prerequisites to install plesk on OL?
You are correct. You can try install Plesk on OL on your own risk. "Not supported" means that this OS is not included to Plesk testing stage and we can't guarantee correct operation Plesk on this OS. But you can try if it is critical for you.

To avoid frustration, please use any of the supported OS. Otherwise, not even the Plesk team is going to help you here ...

Is there any valid logic to not support Oracle Linux. Everybody knows Oracle is world leading technologies company and providing the best platforms at par with international standards. Why you are not recommending oracle linux? Please tell me

Hi Raakh5,

It's simply not popular as you can see for example here: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

Oracle Linux is one of the top 10 server distributions according to ServerWatch: http://www.serverwatch.com/columns/slideshows/top-10-linux-server-distributions-of-2015.html (#7). It's also the only Enterprise Linux distribution that is free to download, distribute and use at no cost with free updates. You also have the option of purchasing enterprise-grade support if you want. No other enterprise distribution provides both free access to updates and paid access to support.

According to Gartner (March 2013), Oracle Linux placed in the top three in the Linux server operating system market, growing more than 80 percent year-over-year in 2012, which outpaced the overall Linux server operating system market growth. It's likely that we're now the #2 Enterprise Linux distribution by revenue.

Its not popular because everybody is not familiar with it but its world most powerful operating system. Why you neither oracle nor oracle linux supporting even these are world best technologies. Is there any technical problem?

Hi Raakh5,

Its not popular because everybody is not familiar with it
well... no... sorry to disappoint you. Such a statement is just wrong. Here in the forum for example are some really experienced linux administrators around and I do not think that you know their skills.

The choice to support a linux distribution is primarily based on worldwide usage statistics and supporting an additional distribution means as well more men-power and work. In addition, there are some Odin accountants, who calculate possible Plesk usage during the next years, based on the annual, worldwide distribution usage from the last years and they decide, if it's worth to support a distribution or not. They don't decide such things based on their likes and dislikes, it's just based on previous usages statistics. So even if you think, that "Oracle Linux" is the "best choice" when choosing a distribution, if it doesn't pay out the men-power for the support, because "Oracle Linux" is just not popular on hosting servers, think about it as a buisiness man and you'll have to admit, that there is no money to make with distributions, which are rarely used on hosting servers.

Oracle Linux is NOT popular (& might never be) in the hosting industry especially for a fact that they associate with $ in most of there products...In the hosting industry, businesses want products that maximise there returns ...

Though I agree that Oracle products are popular at enterprise levels ...and yet plesk is less of an enterprise software ...

It is actually also openly stated in the profile - so I have no reason to suspect a conspiracy here :)

I am not affiliated with oracle in any case or not to let Plesk down in any case but just to discuss here why you supporting all operating systems except oracle linux.

As you referred the link: http://talk.plesk.com/threads/xen-vps-oracle-linux-pfsense.336041/#post-792184 Here you can see how easy to install Plesk on oracle linux but I never want to use negative tactics and here and on Oracle forum to fix this problem.

No doubt I love Oracle and Java as I am working in these technologies for the last 12 years. I am using Plesk for the last 5 years on different servers but when I install Oracle on it then face many problems. This is my small effort to fix problems between you and oracle as to why you are not shaking hands to work together.

Frankly, you can use any unsupported OSes on your own risk. If you need official support of your favorite OS - you can submit corresponding request on http://plesk.uservoice.com and if your request will be supported by votes of many people - we will consider possibility of implementation.

Back