• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Permissions Reset on container

S

srzx2j

I've been managing my VPS for a few months now and learning linux.

I needed to make a change to a website directory but ended up reseting permissions accidently on my entire containter to 777.

I cannot SSH in because the connection is refused. When I go look in the System Services, the service is not running. When I try to start the service I receive the following error:
Failed to start the "sshd" service.
Cannot start/stop/restart service: Starting sshd: /var/empty/sshd must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.

Can someone point me in the right direction so that I can reset permissions to default or at the very least regain access to my SSH?

Thanks!

Since you have access to Plesk -> go to Tools & Settings -> Schedule Tasks -> Root -> create a task that runs say every 1 - 10 minutes with the command:

chown -R root:root /etc/ssh
/etc/init.d/sshd restart

That should turn the ownership of SSH back to the root user ...

That is genius!

I'll give that a try and report back.

Thanks!

Okay that worked... I had to also do a chmod 700 /var/empty/sshd in order for the changes to take effect. THANK YOU!!!

Now can someone point me in the right direction to reset all the permissions to default? At the moment everything is 777.

I should add that what led to this problem was that I did a chmod * 777... Everything is effected minus what I just changed thanks to the help of abdi.

Thanks!

EDIT: Well, I've double checked and had a backup of everything. Compared it to what was on the container and reinstalling from scratch. I'm sure there is another way, but I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that my system is completely exposed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back