• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Vote Please share your opinion about Plesk PHP packages

What is your overall satisfaction rating with our PHP packages?

• 5 - Very Satisfied

Votes: 74 54.8%
  • 4 - Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • 3 - Neither Satisfied Nor Dissatisfied

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • 2 - Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 1 - Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
I would like to rate the new packages, but the plesk installer only shows me "PHP 5 from OS vendor" and no other version on my Debian 6...

Does anybody have a workaround or a fix for me?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Nevertheless, vBulletin + Redis seems to be something for the future.

In conclusion, try to get the php memcache module working first.....

Regards....
Thanks for your additional info on subject.

I know that use of cache should be supported in vBulletin (or whatever software there is, to be used). I may suggest adding support for Redis cache to DBTech, they may consider it and add it for they program DBOptimise.

@Alan_SP,

If you can start a personal conversation and mail me some of the optimization templates by DBTech, it can be the case that I can help you fairly easily with Redis.

However, I am not certain though.

In essence, there is a tiny loop hole to configure php to use Redis partially (!), since some of the older versions seem to able to engage with Redis with the memcached module.

The above implies that a vBulletin, set up properly for using Memcache daemon (i.e. Memcached), can use Redis Cache (instead of Memcached), without big modifications.

This loop hole can only be of value, if the DBTech optimization templates are defined in an efficient and/or a proper fashion.

Let´s try it.....shall we?

Please note that the above mentioned approach will not allow usage of all excellent Redis features, but it will allow for the lightening speed of Redis.

Regards......

@Alan_SP,

I am not going to downlaod the package, for many reasons.

In general, Redis is a tough cookie (i.e. one cannot suffice with the normal get/set code sets) and there are many attempts to create a set of appropriate Redis code.

There is no common approach and that is not surprising: each application should have has own set of code, aligned with the nature and core code of the application.

However, when "projecting" common Memcached code, it often can apply to Redis related code, with one main advantage: speed with values to 512MB (memcached values are 1MB).

Pointing Memcached related code to a Redis server often does the trick, you could try that yourself!

Regards.....

No problem.

I have one problem with xcache, I see this error:

SAPI Compatibility Error PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN<1 PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN should be >= 1 and use 1 group of parent/childs model. See http://xcache.lighttpd.net/wiki/Faq

How and where I set PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN, so xcache works faster in Plesk?

@Alan_SP,

"That setting should be in php.ini." EDIT: My bad, should be something else (and not php.ini), depending on the setup. Too much work, too many projects, a little bit of sleep. Apologies.

One question though: are you now running Apache + NGINX and, in addition, lighttpd?.

That is a terrible trade-off of cache and performance. In general, lighttpd is not a good idea....

Regards....

Last edited:
No, at the moment I'm still only on Apache and Plesk PHP 5.3 (older version of vB, it waits till I update it to latest vB4.2.4 which is still in beta).

But, this problem with PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN, please found where and how to set it up in Plesk. It seems that it affects all opcode cachers, not just xcache. Or it can't be used with fast cgi? https://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/mod/mod_fcgid.html

Here it says:

PHP child process management (PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN) should always be disabled with mod_fcgid, which will only route one request at a time to application processes it has spawned; thus, any child processes created by PHP will not be used effectively. (Additionally, the PHP child processes may not be terminated properly.) By default, and with the environment variable setting PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN=0, PHP child process management is disabled.

The popular APC opcode cache for PHP cannot share a cache between PHP FastCGI processes unless PHP manages the child processes. Thus, the effectiveness of the cache is limited with mod_fcgid; concurrent PHP requests will use different opcode caches.

I´ve always used original php from vendors and some other rpm packages for many years... But last year came with the need to have several php packages for different subscriptions that needed a different specific version. I solved this using atomic packages. It was a blessing that the Odin team decided to package some of the main PHP versions... Now I still use both Odin and atomic versions... But so far Odin packages make the trick and are working good with several joomla versions ranging from the 1.5 versions ( very old and needs php 5.2) to the latest joomla ( using newer php versions )

Nginx was something i used about a year before the plesk inclusion... I think that the Fast CGI versions + Apache + Nginx + some tuning... gives a BIG BOOST on the overall response using really low resources... Thanks for the hard work Odin Team!

The plesk-php56-devel seems outdated and is not installable:

Code:
Error: Package: plesk-php56-devel-5.6.14-centos7.15102115.x86_64 (plesk-php-5.6)
  Requires: plesk-php56 = 5.6.14-centos7.15102115
  Installed: plesk-php56-5.6.15-centos7.15111714.x86_64 (@PHP_5_6_15-dist)
  plesk-php56 = 5.6.15-centos7.15111714
  Available: plesk-php56-5.6.14-centos7.15102115.x86_64 (plesk-php-5.6)
  plesk-php56 = 5.6.14-centos7.15102115
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Please fix this issue.

we are finding this incredibly useful.
what would be really cool..
to be able to install apache 2.4 on centos 6x to enable apache+php-fpm
to be able to set the pool settings from within plesk

I was wondering one thing about these previous versions of PHP. Since some of them are end of life/support, will Plesk be patching any security issues with them?

Support of different php Versions "out of the Box" is essential for us and helps a lot - thanks for implementing. It is allways a mess with a shared Webserver and within running a lot of Domains, some of the Users never touch there installation and other would like to have always the bleeding edge....

Back