• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Vote Please share your opinion about Plesk PHP packages

What is your overall satisfaction rating with our PHP packages?

• 5 - Very Satisfied

Votes: 74 54.8%
  • 4 - Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • 3 - Neither Satisfied Nor Dissatisfied

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • 2 - Somewhat Dissatisfied

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 1 - Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
I am intrigued by PHP-FPM. But your Plesk manual provides no documentation whatever beyond a basic description. Yes, I have checked the online information, and forwarded to my web guy to review.

In my tests, it works more efficiently with PHP 5.6.x and Zend Opcache; sites seem faster.

But I have a problem, and again my webmaster is stumped because he's not familiar with PHP-FPM.

Here's the situation:

We offer premium forum memberships via the XenForo Resource Manager. Our main products consist of ad free versions of my syndicated radio shows, plus extra podcasts and other content.

To make it easier for members to listen to the radio shows on iTunes and other podcast apps, the webmaster made a special RSS feed with PHP that requires authentication to access, using member names and passwords.

Works fine in FastCGI (and on our former cPanel server with Mod Ruid and DSO).

But the authentication breaks with PHP-FPM. It puts up a prompt constantly asking for user password. The two domains that offer the premium memberships were reverted to FastCGI.

I presume changes need to be made to the PHP code to allow for that to work with PHP-FPM.

If anyone can provide guidance, let me know. I'd be happy to provide the PHP code in a private conversation to anyone who wants to diagnose.

Thanks.

Peace,
Gene

Just a small note that it looks like Plesks PHP 7.01 packages have a small problem by default:

Code:
/opt/plesk/php/7.0/bin/php -v

PHP Warning:  Zend OPcache huge_code_pages: mmap(HUGETLB) failed: Cannot allocate memory (12) in Unknown on line 0
PHP 7.0.1 (cli) (built: Dec 21 2015 15:17:03) ( NTS )

You can workaround this warning by editing /opt/plesk/php/7.0/etc/php.d/10-opcache.ini and changing it to opcache.huge_code_pages=0

I think that this is only supported in new OS like Centos 7+ should only be enabled if running a newer OS.

Last edited:
Is this similar?
Code:
/opt/plesk/php/7.0/bin/php -v

PHP Warning:  Zend OPcache huge_code_pages: madvise(HUGEPAGE) failed: Invalid argument (22) in Unknown on line 0
PHP 7.0.1 (cli) (built: Dec 21 2015 15:49:09) ( NTS )
Same workaround ;)

On Ubuntu 14.01 LTS

Last edited:
Huge Pages need to be explicitly enabled on booting the kernel.

Only Oracle's and RHEL distros come with enabled by default.

Personal opinion based on many years since started using it for MySQL - huge performance boost for MySQL. Hope to see this in PHP7 as well and in the future to Redis as well.

(Ps. Huge Pages are not for people unfamiliar with kernel internals)

Later edit:
  • Huge table pages are for systems with large amounts of ram. The amount of ram for HTP are locked and can't be used for other processes. So on a 16GB instance you set 4GB for HTP, then you have 12GB visible and usable for the common processes. Give 3GB to MySQL and 1GB to PHP and enjoy ;)
  • Really not for WordPress or similar based websites.
  • Most of VPS providers don't enable HTP access in XEN / KVM - it must be explicitly enabled in the virtualization manager. So it is useful on dedicated.

Last edited:
How can I install memcashed for this php-version?
Please do not post technical issues here. You can create separate thread about your issue. This thread is only for sharing opinions.

Yes I don't think that "Huge Pages support" made it into Ubuntu 14.01 LTS either. It needs a newer kernel/glibc. The same fix will work.

HTP is available to be enabled since Ubuntu HardyHeron (8.04 LTS - server kernel).

Question related to current PHP 5.3 from Plesk's php packages: will it add PHP-FPM as it is supported? As we can run 5.4, 5.6, 7.0 with FPM, 5.3 would also be a benefit so it doesn't forces usage of fcgid only for a version of PHP.

Multiple PHP versions is great, but version 5.4.45 doesn't work! Please fix it! I tried 5.3, 5.5, and 5.6, worked great, but 5.4 gives a fastCGI error. I'll post a separate message about this also.

@Sennan,

Nice to hear that!

I am glad to see that you are content with the Plesk PHP packages, this in contrast to the "doom and gloom" messages some people tend to post.

A small tip: just keep the PHP configuration as standard as possible, the default PHP packages are in most cases sufficient.

If you have some questions about those PHP packages and/or extensions for them, just start a conversation with me or post a question on the forum!

Regards.....

Hello Plesk team,

I am also having an issue with Xcache in plesk-php55-fpm:

I know and I understand why it is disabled, but I still see in our subscriptions (originating in a 12.0.18 server migration) that in the conf files of /opt/plesk/php/5.5/etc/php-fpm.d/<domain>.conf the following lines:

php_value[xcache.cacher] = on (also present in the final php.ini file in /var/www/vhosts/system/<domain>/etc/php.ini.

As a result we have a flood of error messages in /var/log/plesk-php55-fpm/error.log.

Since both the conf file and the ini file are generated by Plesk I still don't know how can I remove that line in a permanent way. PHP options in "tools and settings" or in "sites and domains" don't show (or at least I don't see) a place to deactivate this setting.

@Miguel_Tellería

The term "xcache" should not be present in any php.ini file, at least not in those ini files provided with and/or generated by Plesk.

I would suggest that you have a look at manual customizations, even though automatic customizations can also be the cause of the changes in the ini files.

You can consider to take the following actions:

a) if it is a custom PHP 5.5 package, just

- switch to PHP 5.6 by installing PHP 5.6 and removing PHP 5.5 (via the autoinstaller preferably), OR
- re-install the PHP 5.5 package (this would often cleanup all installation files properly; it is also a nice method to test whether automatic customization are applied afterwards)

and be sure that you, before doing any of the above, check and verify (!) that you have all the latest micro-updates applied.

b) if it is the OS Vendor package that you are talking about, just

- unload the xcache module ("comment" the line containing extension=..., or remove the xcache related ini file from /opt/plesk/php/5.5/etc/php.d/)
- cleanup all ini and config files containing or involving xcache

and the above really is a very rough outline.

I hope that the above helps a bit.

Regards..

Thanks @trialotto for your quick reply. I will try the b) path and will post again if I have other trouble.

I didn't said it before, but I thank Plesk for maintaining their PHP packages and save us time and troubles at work.

@Miguel_Tellería

By the way, it is not "that bad" to have XCache, with the degree of "bad" more or less depending on the OS you are running.

It can be the case that you have some php code related errors in your log files, with those errors being unrelated to XCache (and the proper working thereof) itself.

In short, you can (on the one hand) disable XCache (with the danger that the root cause of the problem, resulting in errors in the log files, will remain present) and (on the other hand) do some thorough investigation with respect to the errors you found in the log files.

In my humble opinion, the most convenient way is to disable XCache and have a look at the (new) results, with or without some caching mechanism.

Regards.......

i keep having trouble with supplied 5.) FPM after plesk updates. today again.
lower versions with fast cgi are more stable. for me anyway they always cured the problem FPM did create.
edgae

Run these command

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --upgrade-installed-components
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -d
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -e

they fix most of these types of problems

Run these command

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --upgrade-installed-components
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -d
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -e

they fix most of these types of problems

Thanks, you mean for php ?

Back