• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.0 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it is possible to get more info about features of this plugin? Now WHMCS is my target. And would be great to know about that plugin functionality.

BTW we have recently developed Plesk plugins for WHMCs and will soon publish them

Maybe it is possible to get more info about features of this plugin? Now WHMCS is my target. And would be great to know about that plugin functionality.

Sure. We will soon make the module available. The functions include
* The module automates creation, suspension, activation and termination of account/subscription in Plesk after certain event in WHMCS.
* Upsell resources – i.e. at purchase stage (or later) customer can get additional disk space and additional traffic at extra cost over basic plan
* Upsell dedicated IP (default would be shared IP)
* Dual-stack IP (IPv4+IPv6)
* Overage billing for diskspace and traffic - pay-as-you-go basing on actual usage volume at the end of billing period
But unlike ModulesGarden plugin, this one doesn't include UI integration with WHMCs

or the ability to have a PBAS installation, along with Plesk 12 on the same server if needed, which is something not supported until today as far as I know.

Hi Konstantinos, I don't think PBAs will ever be able to sit on one server with Plesk. WHMCs or Blesta can be considered as an alternative to lightweight CBM.
To get CBM UI available, call the following after Plesk installation
plesk installer --select-release-current --install-component billing

I would very much like each hosting package (not talking aliases here) be in /var/www/vhosts/<(sub)domainname>/httpdocs

The fact that you now allow people to create multiple hosting spaces under one subscription and letting them enter their own path doesn't only hamper with consistency and annoyance it also made people screw over their websites on several occasions (for example creating hosting twice, point to same directory (like an alias...) and remove one and poof site is gone on the 2nd instance as well).

Consistency is something I very much desire in large environments. I don't know who figured people should be allowed to set their own paths, or why there should be multiple hosting spaces in 1 subscription, but IMHO you can shoot em :). If I want something that feels like a hobby project I'll build one.

Also, file permissions are still a large issue. mpm-itk or mod_ruid2 would be highly appreciated. For the same reason I don't feel much for nginx as a front-end, it makes this even more difficult as the mpm-itk/mod_ruid2 would be somewhat useless if it's nginx serving the static content. The fastcgi solution occasionally has issues (mostly with rewrite rules - these are extremely hard to debug/track though as nothing gets logged), but for consistent permissions the webserver (static content) should also run as the user. I can't explain most end-users that PHP files and files delivered through PHP only need permissions for the owner and that static stuff (served by webserver) should have world read rights.

Kind regards,

Hi, thanks for your input. We cannot take the given flexibility back - but you can limit each subscription to 1 domain and the result should be very much similar. Previously it has a sort of inconvenience - that you need to choose each domain in a dropdown, but now it is much better with ALL domains being listed on "Websites and Domains", just select "all" in the dropdown. We will much appreciate if you can give it a try and tell us what you think.

I don't know who figured people should be allowed to set their own paths, or why there should be multiple hosting spaces in 1 subscription, but IMHO you can shoot em .
Well, people are different. Even today I can name few feature requests which are exactly opposite to each other. We had many enough requests for this flexibility, possibly influenced that those people worked simultaneously with cPanel which has this ability as well.
So that time we decided to go that way and if you need a person who "figured" it - that's me.

mpm-itk or mod_ruid2 would be highly appreciated.
I think you would like to visit http://plesk.uservoice.com/forums/184549-feature-suggestions/suggestions/3539747-mod-ruid2-mpm-itk and vote for mod_ruid2 support
Do you have any thoughts on which one is better? mpm-itk or mod_ruid2?

For the same reason I don't feel much for nginx as a front-end, it makes this even more difficult as the mpm-itk/mod_ruid2 would be somewhat useless if it's nginx serving the static content.
Well, in default setup Nginx only caches static content, not serves it. Serving static by nginx is still experimental, as it is obviously inconsistent with mod_rewrite rules.

for consistent permissions the webserver (static content) should also run as the user. I can't explain most end-users that PHP files and files delivered through PHP only need permissions for the owner and that static stuff (served by webserver) should have world read rights.
That's very good point! Though it is not an issue in default setup (reverse proxy only), we missed this nuance and probably have no guidance in our docs for this issue.

Hello everyone!

Today we enabled another preview update and it includes something you might have been waited for long!

1. Outgoing antispam by limiting outgoing messages. Controlled at all levels up (or down?) to single mailbox. Covering shell/CGI/cron scripts, mod_php/Apache scripts and, of course, SMTP traffic. We will identify which mailbox (smtp), or domain (mod_php/apache), or system user (cron/shell) has sent this pile of emails which blacklisted the server. No! Even better - they just cannot send over limit, so the server will not be blacklisted.

2. Fail2ban and mod_security. Sites, services and server itself are well protected and you can tune it.

3. Granular restore. Restore a single file, database or mailbox with no need to overwrite everything and no need to hack into our backup format. BTW, restore should be much more reliable now because of this ability.

4. Admin can open Reseller interface. Didn't like that Admin has to re-login to see and fix things in Reseller interface? It is available now. Admin can inpersonate Reseller with a single click.

You can read details in http://download1.parallels.com/Ples...k-panel-12.0-linux-updates-release-notes.html
You will find all download details in the first message of the thread or at https://sp.parallelsnetwork.com/parallels-plesk-panel-12-partner-preview/

Let us know what you think on these new functions. The feedback form is built right into Plesk interface. Please-please install, try and report your experience to us!
We are looking for your feedback desperately!

Hi Sergey,

thanks for the update!

I found a good script to easily test these new limits.

Swaks - Swiss Army Knife for SMTP
http://www.jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/

Code:
yum -y install perl-Net-DNS

wget http://www.jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/files/swaks-20130209.0/swaks
chmod u+x swaks

echo "This is a spam test" > ~/spamtest

./swaks --to [email protected] --from [email protected] --server $(ifconfig eth0|perl -nE'/dr:(\S+)/&&say$1') --auth PLAIN --auth-user [email protected] --auth-password 'some-password' --header-X-Test "test email" --body ~/spamtest

Example:

Code:
# ./swaks --to [email protected] --from [email protected] --server $(ifconfig eth0|perl -nE'/dr:(\S+)/&&say$1') --auth PLAIN --auth-user [email protected] --auth-password 'some-password' --header-X-Test "test email" --body ~/spamtest

=== Trying your-ip:25...
=== Connected to your-ip.
<-  220 your-smtp-hostname ESMTP Postfix
 -> EHLO your-hostname
<-  250-your-smtp-hostname
<-  250-PIPELINING
<-  250-SIZE 10240000
<-  250-ETRN
<-  250-STARTTLS
<-  250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
<-  250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
<-  250-8BITMIME
<-  250 DSN
 -> AUTH PLAIN ZGlkIHlvdSByZWFsbHk=
<-  235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
 -> MAIL FROM:<[email protected]>
<-  250 2.1.0 Ok
 -> RCPT TO:<[email protected]>
<-  250 2.1.5 Ok
 -> DATA
<-  354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
 -> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:57:25 +0100
 -> To: [email protected]
 -> From: [email protected]
 -> Subject: test Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:57:25 +0100
 -> X-Mailer: swaks v20130209.0 jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/
 -> X-Test: test email
 ->
 -> This is a spam test
 ->
 ->
 -> .
<** 554 5.7.0 Your message could not be sent. The limit on the number of allowed outgoing messages was exceeded. Try again later.
 -> QUIT
<-  221 2.0.0 Bye
=== Connection closed with remote host.

Would it also be possible to limit a user to only be able to send using his SMTP Auth Username?
Or at least restrict them to their own domain, so that they can't send spam with someone else's domain as FROM?

Edit: swaks doesn't seem to work with submission (587)

Code:
# ./swaks --to [email protected] --from [email protected] --server $(ifconfig eth0|perl -nE'/dr:(\S+)/&&say$1') --port 587 --auth PLAIN --auth-user [email protected] --auth-password 'some-password' --header-X-Test "test email" --body ~/spamtest

=== Trying your-ip:587...
=== Connected to your-ip.
<-  220 your-smtp-hostname ESMTP Postfix
 -> EHLO your-hostname
<-  250-your-smtp-hostname
<-  250-PIPELINING
<-  250-SIZE 10240000
<-  250-ETRN
<-  250-STARTTLS
<-  250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
<-  250-8BITMIME
<-  250 DSN
*** Host did not advertise authentication
 -> QUIT
<-  221 2.0.0 Bye
=== Connection closed with remote host.

Last edited:
1. Outgoing antispam by limiting outgoing messages. Controlled at all levels up (or down?) to single mailbox. Covering shell/CGI/cron scripts, mod_php/Apache scripts and, of course, SMTP traffic. We will identify which mailbox (smtp), or domain (mod_php/apache), or system user (cron/shell) has sent this pile of emails which blacklisted the server. No! Even better - they just cannot send over limit, so the server will not be blacklisted.

So does your No! comment mean that you cannot easily see what process has sent the email?

You can see a user or domain who did it, but we don't track in UI a process or file which initiated mail sending.

Yes, you can see the mail account IF it was SMTP traffic.
You can review all capabilities by installing Plesk 12.0 or trying our Online Demos (references in 1st post of the thread)

Guys, as you know, we would like to receive your feedback about Plesk 12.0 Preview. From this day I can provide a test environment for you. You can install Plesk 12.0 Preview on this virtual server and test new features, etc.

The procedure assumes the following:

- You write me PM with the request. Note that sometimes I can be offline, therefore delays are possible. Also do not forget about timezone.
- I create a test environment and I send you IP address and root password.
- By default, the TTL of the environment ~ 24h.
- If you need test environment for a longer period, you have to substantiate it in PM.
- Please specify if you need test environment as destination server for migration. Specific iptables rules will be applied for protection of your migrated data.
- It is highly recommended to leave feedback in this thread after the testing.

At the moment I can provide you following OSes for test environments (you should specify needed OS in your request):

CentOS 6.5 x64
Debian 7 x64
SuSE 12.3 x64
Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Win2008R2 x64
Win2012 x64

Do not hesitate to ask any questions to make more accurate workflow.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Understood but the Plesk 12 release notes say it’s compatible with CentOS 5 & 6 so I was just wondering when 5 & 6 builds would be available.

If you had tried installing the preview you would see that both CentOS 5 and 6 builds are available (for both architectures as well). However, (and this also applies to general Plesk releases) only latest versions are supported (6.5 and 5.10 if I'm not mistaken). This basically means that you need your system repos to point to the latest version (which is normally true by default).

Some feedback

Hi.

Good job on the dovecot integration. Sieve rules seem to work fine.

I've done a clean install on CentOS 6.5.

Issues I ran into or points of criticism:
  • presence builder seems broken. Only a blank page appears and in panel.log, a fatal error shows up:
    [06-Feb-2014 15:34:13 Europe/Berlin] PHP Fatal error: Cannot instantiate abstract class Session in /usr/local/sb/include/SB/Extension/PP.php on line 47
  • postfix has been the default MTA for some time now. I'd consider a new release a good moment to change the mail location for new installs from /var/qmail/mailnames to something more generic, like /var/vmail .
  • installing WordPress from app catalogue renders the installed directories world writeable. Even though the parent dir has no exec permission for other users, I think 755 or even 750 would be preferable.
A pity that parallels premium outgoing spam filter has been discontinued already. New per user limits are an improvement though.

I haven't been able to test as extensively as I would have liked, but I hope you can use this feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back