• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.5.30, CentOS 6, "Error: Unable to check password:" on Login screen

Luke Pittman

New Pleskian
Plesk just started throwing this error this morning. After submitting my login/password I get the following error:

"Error: Unable to check password:"

And yes - that is it. I have tried checking all the plesk/psa/sw-cp-server log files for any information with no luck. I have also tried running the plesk repair tool with no luck.

All other services seem to be running fine (postfix, dovecot, apache, etc) this seems to be limited to Plesk.

Any and all information and/or guidance would be appreciated very much.

Luke

What is output of following commands:

# /usr/local/psa/bin/admin --show-password
# ls -la /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/serverconf

?

[root@server log]# /usr/local/psa/bin/admin --show-password
<my correct password>
[root@server log]# ls -la /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/serverconf
-rwxr-x---. 1 root root 155904 2015-08-26 06:20 /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/serverconf
[root@server log]#

Usually, this issue related to corruption of /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/serverconf file. But as you can see file is ok.
Try to run repair utility

# plesk repair all

Contact Plesk Support if it doesn't help.

I have run this, but that doesn't help.

Unfortunately the license I have doesn't offer my support from Plesk and my hosting company wants $100/hour for support. I'm trying to solve this without paying that.

Any other ideas?

Some updates:

I am able to login as "admin" with my root password, but the error reported above continues to happen when I try and login as "root".

When logged in as "admin" I get various "permission denied" errors in Plesk, like:

Internal error: Unable to exec utility listmng: listmng: execve failed for /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/listmng: Permission denied System error 13: Permission denied

Also I noticed during "plesk repair" that the service "kavehost" was unable to start, but cannot figure out why or what this service does.

Any insight with these further updates?

Luke

Another update.

I checked the permissions of the mod_wrapper and wrapper files and updated them:

chown root:psaadm *wrapper
chmod 4110 *wrapper

Then was able to login successfully with both root & admin and it appears the control panel is working properly.

Fingers crossed.

Back