• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 7.5.4 Reloaded Beta is now Available

Originally posted by Redah
Is it true that if I install Plesk 7.5.4 on a new box it will put all websites in /var/www instead of /home/httpd ?

If that's the case, I'll need to mount my disks differently, I've reserved almost all the space for the /home partition...

*sigh*

This is also something i'll need someone to confirm

@ Redah:

new installation of 7.5.4beta on CentOS 4.1 installed the vhosts into /var/www/

but you can change the vhost path in /etc/psa/psa.conf:

# Virtual hosts directory
HTTPD_VHOSTS_D /home/httpd/vhosts

Hmm strange ..

How about upgrades ??
Do they move everything ?

Would be pretty stupid.

Originally posted by BoXie
Hmm strange ..

How about upgrades ??
Do they move everything ?

Would be pretty stupid.

Of course we do not move anything during upgrade. We change path only on fresh installation to satisfy OS vendor's requirements.

Ok !

Thank you for your explaination.
I could hardly believe that you would move that stuff.

Being compliant with OS vendors / standards is a good point i think.

That really is annoying though... I had just partitioned my harddrive to give the /home partition a whole lot of room... so that shell users (me and someone else) have plenty of storage room, and httpd as well...

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make the installer check where the most free space is? Would be a very small addition to add to the installer before it goes live.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make the installer check where the most free space is? Would be a very small addition to add to the installer before it goes live.

Thats definitely NOT a good idea .. we need standardized solutions not 'put where ever the most space is ..'.

And on a fresh install it shouldn't give problems.

That really is annoying though... I had just partitioned my harddrive to give the /home partition a whole lot of room... so that shell users (me and someone else) have plenty of storage room, and httpd as well...

If it's a problem for you just do as eilko said:

but you can change the vhost path in /etc/psa/psa.conf:

# Virtual hosts directory
HTTPD_VHOSTS_D /home/httpd/vhosts

It's a very simple workaround.

Whats the ratio you see on production servers between db/email partitions and the vhost areas?

I ask this because i've made a machine with 2 different raid areas, one was going to host the /home directory for all the user's info and the other was going to hold the OS and plesk's DB/email files.

I'll just have to consider differently now that plesk has changed it (i'll probably still use /home though).

Is the space taken up by the db/email generally drastically lower than that of the /home space (per user)?

I know this will vary, but what does i say on the plesk partition usage page?

Ta.

I'd say in general for us it's about 80% for vhosts vs 10% for email (/var/qmail) vs 10% for databases (/var/lib). You're incorrect in your assumption that it will still use /home though, this is exclusively used for vhost directories on a Plesk system. From Plesk 7.5.4 this will all be in /var/www/ as mentioned above so this is where you will need the large amount of space. For the most part we just have a /tmp partition and a / partition though and monitor usage closely 24/7. This is partially because we use Virtuozzo heavily, but it's just more convenient also.

I do feel that it should have been mentioned in the installation .txt file, though.

Granted, this is a beta, and it's always good to try upgrades and such on a test server (which I did), but to me it's a pretty big thing, if I knew this before hand I would have thought about it while partitioning the new machine.

There are other things missing in the installtion .txt file so I guess it's not completely done. For example the required RPM list doesnt say it requires SELinux. Then again they don't list alot of 'default' RPM's but you're not required to install SELinux on FC3, so I feel it should be added to that list, as Plesk definately requires it.

Breaking up the file system into /var /home /, etc doesnt really make sense these days (500g drives are what, 350$?). I suggest 3 partitions, /boot, / and swap. This is a legacy unix thing, you used to have to do that because disks were small, and you'd mount them under each partition.

Originally posted by atomicturtle
Breaking up the file system into /var /home /, etc doesnt really make sense these days (500g drives are what, 350$?). I suggest 3 partitions, /boot, / and swap. This is a legacy unix thing, you used to have to do that because disks were small, and you'd mount them under each partition.

and let's not forget the non-executable /tmp partition...

I suggest 3 partitions, /boot, / and swap. This is a legacy unix thing, you used to have to do that because disks were small, and you'd mount them under each partition.
I found out that the /boot partition is not needed anymore, recent Linux distribution boot just fine using the root partition (/).

Regards.

Originally posted by lawyer
Of course we do not move anything during upgrade. We change path only on fresh installation to satisfy OS vendor's requirements.

Paul,

this is completely insane. Two years ago we had to make the move from /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts to /home/httpd/vhosts that caused all sorts of hell with scripts during backup and restore, now you make us move again. Not only that, it's being done on a 7.5.x release, which is a MINOR release.

Do you understand how many problems this is going to cause for us? I don't care about vendor compatibility, we are your customers, this is what we need done and I expect SW-Soft to bend over backwards to be compatible with us. Especially for the kind of money we are paying every year.

This is an absolutely terrible idea and needs to be addressed before the software goes live.

And don't tell me about psa.conf paths. When I'm going to be restoring from backup a year from now, do you think I'm going to remember that you changed paths between minor release versions? This is nuts.

I think you misread. You WILL NOT have to change the location of your vhosts. This will only apply to new installations, there's no need to modify any file.

Breaking up the filesystem is not only a matter of disk capacity. It's safer because you can fine tune permissions and mount options on every partition indipendently and if one of them goes corrupted it's more probable that / is ok and system boots anyway.
Also, it can improve performance if you place a partition in the right zone of the disk (eg. first cylinders are usually faster).

Am I wrong?

if one of them goes corrupted it's more probable that / is ok and system boots anyway

Yes that's why ART suggested 3 partitions, /boot, / and swap and I would also add /tmp.

The only downfall that I can see is doing a fschk on /, it would take forever.

Originally posted by Cranky
I think you misread. You WILL NOT have to change the location of your vhosts. This will only apply to new installations, there's no need to modify any file.

No Cranky, I read it right. To me this means that any new servers we build from now on will have a different file structure, which means differing paths on our help files, which means possible confusion during an emergency restore, and lots of other great things, like sites not being portable between machines and using PMM to move them back and forth.

what a pain in the ***. again.

Back