• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 7.6 and PHP5

O

OlegB

We are going to implement PHP5 to Plesk v7.6. We need your opinion regarding this feature. We need to know how do you see this feature implemented.

1. Plesk installation pack will involve PHP5.
2. Plesk installation pack will involve PHP4 but will be able to manage PHP5 as well if you install it manually.

But please note that Plesk will support only PHP5 or PHP4 at the same time.

Please let us know. If you have any constructive suggestions we will examine them and come back to you with an answer.

Oleg,

Dunno about other oppinions, but I think both versions should be integrated and clinets should be able to chose what they wanna use.

Take ASP .NET for example: people are able to make a choice. I understand that ASP was easier to integrate than PHP, but my oppinion, it can be done.

As a hosting provider I wanna offer my clients a lot of options, and I want them to be able to customize the services to their liking.

You did a very good job with ASP 2.0 and I am sure that everyone expects no less from you regarding PHP.

Now... regaring your question, If you can't make both PHP versions work simultaneous on the server, you might want to set the installer to put both versions on the server, but only allow one to be activated from Server -> Component Manager. This way, server admins will have less to do when configuring it.

I would go for option 2, for backwards compatibility default to PHP4. If the admin wishes to upgrade to PHP5 it can be done then.

I'm sure it must be possible to support both versions on one server. Plesk sets the mappings for .php to the correct binary, or installs the correct version ISAPI filter.

Option 2 seems the most logical for all, perhaps option 3 is possible :

3) Select at install/updtae time to use 4 or 5.

Else choose 2 and add manual install instructions for php5

If it's not way to have two, you should keep php4 beacause lot of scripts are not compatible with php5.

Best Regards.

Originally posted by OlegB
2. Plesk installation pack will involve PHP4 but will be able to manage PHP5 as well if you install it manually.

I don't mind if you just add PHP 5 support and discontinue version 4. It's probably a good idea to dedicate a new Windows server to PHP 5 anyway. Windows is so touchy.

PHP5 Only

Hi,

You should make it PHP5. 4 is already depreciated.

5 is now current and stable, do you still support mysql 3? -- that's another topic.. moving to mysql 5...

But really, make it PHP5 and push people towards developing on the most current platform.

When 6 comes out next year hopefully, will you still support 4 only because thats what most fo the free scripts are written on?

Phil

you CAN have both php4 and php5 installed on the same server, and i'm totally sure that if the techs at swsoft were to search google, they could figure it VERY easily :)

This is just a random idea but has anyone tried running PHP version 5 as an ISAPI module and PHP version 4 as an EXE?

Make it PHP5 and let it manage PHP4 with some manual actions. (a mirrored option2).

Will MySQL5 also be included? When will 7.6 come out?

Originally posted by Snef
Make it PHP5 and let it manage PHP4 with some manual actions. (a mirrored option2).

Will MySQL5 also be included? When will 7.6 come out?
As for MySQL, I want to stay with current version because if you had a existing database in 4.1.12 and upgrading to mysql5 will mess up the database I think.

Also Invision Power Board does not support mysql5 yet.

Can it be an option to choose for MySQL4.x or MySQL5 for customers?

I like to see that we could assign MySQL4 or 5 to a customer (=domain). That would be very nice!

I know I can install MySQL seperately, but at the end it nice that it will work through the plesk control panel!

PHP 4 and PHP 5 can be run together by making PHP4 run as ISAPI and PHP5 as CGI.

User can then use script mapping to select which version of php they wish to run per domain.

Originally posted by nethosts
PHP 4 and PHP 5 can be run together by making PHP4 run as ISAPI and PHP5 as CGI.

User can then use script mapping to select which version of php they wish to run per domain.

how you suppose to share php.ini ?

how you suppose to share php.ini ?

You can't share php.ini

You need both php.ini files in each root php directory and no php files in the windows or system32 directory.

Back