• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 8

Plesk8

Well, I guess, I have to wait for Pleask8, as I am just getting into web hosting business. I just got my new server and preparing FC4 for Plesk8. Does anyone or experienced dev have comment or recommendation for me?

WIsh me luck

Depending on how familiar you were with your installation of FC4, you may consider reinstalling with FC2 or FC3.

I'm on RH9 on one of my servers and FC2 and I really cannot honestly tell you any of the benefits between the versions of RedHat other than the fact that I am confident that FC2 legacy support will last longer than RH9 legacy support =)

Go with CentOS 4.2 and you will avoid headache in the future.
Fedora has a very short EOL and FC4 is quite old now (FC5 will soon be released).

And something about the Plesk 8 beta... I’m unimpressed... almost 2 years of development should pay of more...
I still hope it was a very early beta...

Hultenius: I'm not entirely sure that it's been 2 years since the release of PLESK v7.5 (originally labeled 'PLESK 8'). Perhaps 2 since v7.0.

I'm happy with many of the additions - domain aliasing from within PLESK is something I've longed for (to the extent of writing my own bash script to provide this). I'm also thrilled to have qmail-queue management from inside PLESK and SPF records added (although this is as simple as adding a TXT record to the main DNS template ... but hey, I prefer things to be configured properly out-of-the-box).

If AW-Stats are not integrated, I'll be pretty annoyed as this seems to be one of the biggest user requests.

It seems that one of the major changes in PLESK 8 is the Virtuozzo / PLESK integration that will allow the entire platform to move forward in a more smooth, coherant roadmap. From the user side, and non Virtuozzo side, this is probably absolutely uninteresting.

I'm not too sure that I care for this PLESK Desktop concept -- it doesn't sound particularly useful.

Not Linux guru

Well, I'm actually not a Linux guru, but Redhat is only LinuxOS I've been messing and being headache with. But as you said, I might avoid the future headache by using CentOS, because after my first installation boot, I already got raid error without doing anything yet.

So, as you guys are experienced, I just want to gather up information and your recommendation as much as I can, before going to pick OS for Plesk8

Thanks y'all

@NetNappy: mind you that CentOS4 is the same as RHEL4 with free updates. So if you have problems with drivers on RHEL4 you will also have them with CentOS4.

GreyListing...

Originally posted by Hal9000
i would have liked built-in greylisting support...

I agree on this one ... although I feel that Greylisting is still one of those very obscure spam prevention methods... I for one love greylisting... but can't see PLESK adding it any time soon. It works, which is the amazing thing.

I assume you use ART's Greylisting?

to be honest i don't remember if it's ART's...
i just know i found it on this forum somewhere, i'm using it on my debian system and i'm veeeery satisfied with it.
of course it would be great if it would be built-in to plesk, so one can enable/disable greylisting on a per-domain or per-address base...
SPF is good but way less useful than greylisting, imho

I just want to get a new Plesk with the latest, or at least later versions of various web server applications. Security and stability would be much better to have the latest stuff. As far as I know, running FreeBSD 4.11 won't allow me to upgrade the processes independently like linux rpms.

Originally posted by devindull
I just want to get a new Plesk with the latest, or at least later versions of various web server applications. Security and stability would be much better to have the latest stuff. As far as I know, running FreeBSD 4.11 won't allow me to upgrade the processes independently like linux rpms.

Does Plesk for FreeBSD work different than the Linux counterparts. Because on the Linux versions, Plesk runs a seperate apache process...thus you can change anything you want in regards to web server such as PHP etc...the only thing you can't change without affecting Plesk is MySQL. Is this not true with the FreeBSD version?

Installing the Beta of Plesk 8 now on a fresh install of Fedora Core 4. In nothing short of amazing, I did the auto-install and it has run without any errors thus far... but not totally done yet... but looking promising...

Ill keep you posted.

Re: Not Linux guru

Originally posted by NetNappy
Well, I'm actually not a Linux guru, but Redhat is only LinuxOS I've been messing and being headache with. But as you said, I might avoid the future headache by using CentOS, because after my first installation boot, I already got raid error without doing anything yet.

So, as you guys are experienced, I just want to gather up information and your recommendation as much as I can, before going to pick OS for Plesk8

Thanks y'all

In that case i would suggest you try FreeBSD 6. (or 6.1 if its out yet, scheduled for April). FreeBSD is rock solid, has great hw support, and is very well organized, which makes is a breeze to keep up to date.

Originally posted by chickenbak
Does Plesk for FreeBSD work different than the Linux counterparts. Because on the Linux versions, Plesk runs a seperate apache process...thus you can change anything you want in regards to web server such as PHP etc...the only thing you can't change without affecting Plesk is MySQL. Is this not true with the FreeBSD version?

Yes, it's done the same way. Essentially the whole system and plesk is seperated. One of the perks of freebsd's hier.

HI, Guys..

Again I seeing the Linuxe's versions coming out 1st.
And again I must wait to have fun with new toys and problems ;)

but 2 months latter (generaly time to FreeBSD version) I belive I can run an system with few bugs and more patches.. :)

Does some one heard about platforms ? what version of FreeBSD ?

Tia.

What versions of PHP and MySQL does Plesk 8 install...does it support MySQL 5?

PHP 5.0.4, very nice. Me likey.

I wonder if it would do that as well on RHEL AS4 using maybe the CentOS rpm.

Things I See Different (may not be greatly observant)

SPF Settings & Various Levels of Options (server-wide, not by domain)
Mail Queue View (server-wide)
Define External Database servers (PostgresSQL and MySQL)
- Appears to allow remote creation of DBs
Server-Wide phpMyAdmin access to all databases on the server
SOA Preferences for DNS
Potential Easier Template Building/Integration (need to look deeper)
Domain Aliases (domain level user, alias mail and web)
- Great for "Redirect" domains and don't use up licenses
Domain Setup - Includes a option for "PHP-SAFE" mode on or off
Subdomains per domain
- SSL Support Option
- HD Quota
- All Standard Service Options (except Frontpage stuff)
Web Users per domain
- All Standard Service Options (except Frontpage stuff)
- HD Quota
Some New "Desktop" Main Menu Screen that may be overkill or helpful
Watchdog 2.0 Looks Cool, Lots More Features

Don't understand what "MacOSX Support" is suppose to mean in their description of features or if that just means better Safari support... who knows.

Back