• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Backups downloaded with .tzst file

Test on via ssh on server where the newer ZSTD compressions is already present

tar -tvf Your_File. xx --use-compress-program pzstd

My backups are split in 2GB files, so I have all the .TAR/.TAR1/.TAR2/../.TARn files to merge; or at least I think I have to....
You can do that, but the usual way is to merge them on the fly by piping the output of cat into tar (cat tar_name.tar* | tar tvz -)

I am still looking for a solution to uncompress/extract these $@^**^ .tzst files on macOS 12.
Anyone have a solution?
I know this has been a while but I didn't have any need to get to the customer web files in a backup until now.

I am still looking for a solution to uncompress/extract these $@^**^ .tzst files on macOS 12.
Anyone have a solution?
I know this has been a while but I didn't have any need to get to the customer web files in a backup until now.
Download "Peazip". Took me a while to find it but it will decompress tzst files.

I have actually tried everything, from 7zip (the TZST version) to PeaZip, but as I try to extract I am missing content.

Here are all the steps:
  • Merged all the TARs
  • Extracted all the backup_user-data_XXXXX.tzst* (in the backup I tried with I have only .tzst and .tzst1)
  • Merged all the TZSTs - inside I have an extension-less file
  • Extracted the extension-less file inside the complete TZST
  • Opened the extension-less file with 7zip TZST version (or PeaZip, doesn't matter)
Inside the extension-less file I see a part of my server's files, I get an error from whom I guess that there is something corrupted inside these files, one hint is that merged_tars.tar is about 35GB, the merged_tzst is 4.5GB..

Testing the merged_tar.tar of a recent backup gives me this error
ERRORS:
Headers Error
WARNINGS:
There are data after the end of archive
Physical Size = 4294968320
Tail Size = 37908280071
Headers Size = 1024
Code Page = UTF-8
Characteristics = ASCII

I tried with different backups, same thing.. what am I missing, is there some corruption going on when Plesk is packing the backup?

I only backup DBs with some exclusions so as little other extraneous stuff is backed up besides the DB and I backup to an external windows server.

When I want to restore a DB, I navigate to the Domains folder inside the TAR using Winrar and extract the specific TGZ file (the database) I want to a Windows folder. I bring that TZST file over to my desktop and then extract the TZST file with Peazip.

Hope that helps.

Download "Peazip". Took me a while to find it but it will decompress tzst files.
Peazip will extract the .tar file, but when I try to use it to extract the website files from the "backup_user-data_22059999999.tzst" file that is clearly several Gigs it won't do it -- on any file. Always gives "Unknown error" and stops.

I've never tried to extract a file that large. I only extract smaller DB files which are tiny by comparison.

I think this is something that Plesk really needs to address because TZST has been problematic in my view.

No "solutions" worked for me but I did find a workaround solution here:

Put this into panel.ini:

[pmm]
compressionMethod = deflate
Nice and universally compatible like the good ol' days. ;-)

Did you check with ls -l tarname.tar* whether the tarfiles are in the correct order and not something like tar1 tar10 tar11 …?
That's the thing in IT, days of madness for a stupid mistake.. you are right Mow, THANK YOU!

Now, that the TAR has been merged properly I can see the right folders.

Schermata 2022-06-08 alle 09.39.00.png

Now, in "Domains > My_Host" I have the infamous TZST files in 2GB chunks, those I am trying to recover are the websites files, I guess thy are under "backup_user-data_YYMMDDHHMM.tzst*" as in the "sites" folder I only find config backup files.

Schermata 2022-06-08 alle 09.39.28.png

I have extracted them and merged them with "cat back..._.tzst* > all.tzst", when I open the merged .TZST I get this..

Schermata 2022-06-08 alle 09.45.24.png

A single, extensionless file, with the same name of the archive, I extracted that but PeaZip instantly asks me if I want to extract a "all.zip" file, as I extract that I start a loop of "all" » "all.zip" » "all" etc...

Just to check that you have the right version of PeaZip, can you extract any of the other tzst files?

Trying what you suggested I noticed a thing, if I do not use PeaZip to extract that ZIP file, but I proceed to unpack it with the standard unpacking tool I have (The Unarchiver for Mac in my case) I can finally unpack the files.
Same thing with the others TZST files, it seems that PeaZip only converts the TZST content (the extension-less file) into a ZIP archive.

So the (successful) steps has become:
  • Merge all the backup TARs (paying attention at the order if 10+)
  • Extract the backup_user-data_XXXXX.tzst*
  • Merge all the TZSTs - inside I have an extension-less file
  • Extract the extension-less file inside the complete TZST
  • Open the extension-less file with PeaZip and extracted the "ZIP version"
  • Unpacked the ZIP file
  • Enjoying my files!
The thing that puzzles me is the TZST » extension-less » ZIP steps ..

Back