• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Plesk Backups downloaded with .tzst file

Test on via ssh on server where the newer ZSTD compressions is already present

tar -tvf Your_File. xx --use-compress-program pzstd

My backups are split in 2GB files, so I have all the .TAR/.TAR1/.TAR2/../.TARn files to merge; or at least I think I have to....
You can do that, but the usual way is to merge them on the fly by piping the output of cat into tar (cat tar_name.tar* | tar tvz -)

I am still looking for a solution to uncompress/extract these $@^**^ .tzst files on macOS 12.
Anyone have a solution?
I know this has been a while but I didn't have any need to get to the customer web files in a backup until now.

I am still looking for a solution to uncompress/extract these $@^**^ .tzst files on macOS 12.
Anyone have a solution?
I know this has been a while but I didn't have any need to get to the customer web files in a backup until now.
Download "Peazip". Took me a while to find it but it will decompress tzst files.

I have actually tried everything, from 7zip (the TZST version) to PeaZip, but as I try to extract I am missing content.

Here are all the steps:
  • Merged all the TARs
  • Extracted all the backup_user-data_XXXXX.tzst* (in the backup I tried with I have only .tzst and .tzst1)
  • Merged all the TZSTs - inside I have an extension-less file
  • Extracted the extension-less file inside the complete TZST
  • Opened the extension-less file with 7zip TZST version (or PeaZip, doesn't matter)
Inside the extension-less file I see a part of my server's files, I get an error from whom I guess that there is something corrupted inside these files, one hint is that merged_tars.tar is about 35GB, the merged_tzst is 4.5GB..

Testing the merged_tar.tar of a recent backup gives me this error
ERRORS:
Headers Error
WARNINGS:
There are data after the end of archive
Physical Size = 4294968320
Tail Size = 37908280071
Headers Size = 1024
Code Page = UTF-8
Characteristics = ASCII

I tried with different backups, same thing.. what am I missing, is there some corruption going on when Plesk is packing the backup?

I only backup DBs with some exclusions so as little other extraneous stuff is backed up besides the DB and I backup to an external windows server.

When I want to restore a DB, I navigate to the Domains folder inside the TAR using Winrar and extract the specific TGZ file (the database) I want to a Windows folder. I bring that TZST file over to my desktop and then extract the TZST file with Peazip.

Hope that helps.

Download "Peazip". Took me a while to find it but it will decompress tzst files.
Peazip will extract the .tar file, but when I try to use it to extract the website files from the "backup_user-data_22059999999.tzst" file that is clearly several Gigs it won't do it -- on any file. Always gives "Unknown error" and stops.

I've never tried to extract a file that large. I only extract smaller DB files which are tiny by comparison.

I think this is something that Plesk really needs to address because TZST has been problematic in my view.

No "solutions" worked for me but I did find a workaround solution here:

Put this into panel.ini:

[pmm]
compressionMethod = deflate
Nice and universally compatible like the good ol' days. ;-)

Did you check with ls -l tarname.tar* whether the tarfiles are in the correct order and not something like tar1 tar10 tar11 …?
That's the thing in IT, days of madness for a stupid mistake.. you are right Mow, THANK YOU!

Now, that the TAR has been merged properly I can see the right folders.

Schermata 2022-06-08 alle 09.39.00.png

Now, in "Domains > My_Host" I have the infamous TZST files in 2GB chunks, those I am trying to recover are the websites files, I guess thy are under "backup_user-data_YYMMDDHHMM.tzst*" as in the "sites" folder I only find config backup files.

Schermata 2022-06-08 alle 09.39.28.png

I have extracted them and merged them with "cat back..._.tzst* > all.tzst", when I open the merged .TZST I get this..

Schermata 2022-06-08 alle 09.45.24.png

A single, extensionless file, with the same name of the archive, I extracted that but PeaZip instantly asks me if I want to extract a "all.zip" file, as I extract that I start a loop of "all" » "all.zip" » "all" etc...

Just to check that you have the right version of PeaZip, can you extract any of the other tzst files?

Trying what you suggested I noticed a thing, if I do not use PeaZip to extract that ZIP file, but I proceed to unpack it with the standard unpacking tool I have (The Unarchiver for Mac in my case) I can finally unpack the files.
Same thing with the others TZST files, it seems that PeaZip only converts the TZST content (the extension-less file) into a ZIP archive.

So the (successful) steps has become:
  • Merge all the backup TARs (paying attention at the order if 10+)
  • Extract the backup_user-data_XXXXX.tzst*
  • Merge all the TZSTs - inside I have an extension-less file
  • Extract the extension-less file inside the complete TZST
  • Open the extension-less file with PeaZip and extracted the "ZIP version"
  • Unpacked the ZIP file
  • Enjoying my files!
The thing that puzzles me is the TZST » extension-less » ZIP steps ..

Back