• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Firewall - SE Linux, firewalld, iptables

bskrakes

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can confirm how the extension Plesk Firewall extension works? I.E is Plesk Firewall using SE Linux, firewalld or old school iptables?

If I remove Plesk Firewall what does this do to the system?

Does anyone know why Plesk Firewall doesn't show up on the Plesk Extension website?

Thank you,

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can confirm how the extension Plesk Firewall extension works? I.E is Plesk Firewall using SE Linux, firewalld or old school iptables?
iptables

Does anyone know why Plesk Firewall doesn't show up on the Plesk Extension website?
It's in Plesk components, not extensions.
Where you decide to have dovecot or courier, install PHP-versions....

If I remove Plesk Firewall what does this do to the system?
It leaves you with an empty iptables.

What I do on a "maiden plesk setup" is use "iptables-save' to have a backup of the current firewall.
Then study the file if there are "new things"
I then use my own iptables file I have in /etc
make sure that gets loaded with iptables-restore and that's it.

Thanks for your reply mr-wolf. Do you use SELinux or just iptables?

I find it strange that Pleks Firewall shows up under "Extensions" after installed, although like you say it is a "Component" under the additional install features of Plesk.

Thanks for your reply mr-wolf. Do you use SELinux or just iptables?

I find it strange that Pleks Firewall shows up under "Extensions" after installed, although like you say it is a "Component" under the additional install features of Plesk.
Maybe that's an additional front-end?
I wouldn't know as I always remove the Plesk firewall from components.

Ok thanks mr-wolf. I am using a firewall appliance that sits in front of the server plus SELinux which I think is sufficient.

The built in Security Advisor recommends installing Plesk Firewall but iptables is old school. It would be nice if they modified the Plesk add-on to use firewalld and/or tie into SELinux.

Back