• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk installation corrupted while upgrading Ubuntu

when I try an "aptitude reinstall plesk-base", I get
The following
packages will be REINSTALLED:
plesk-base
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
E: Can't find a source to download version '17.0.17-ubuntu14.04.build1700161028.14' of 'plesk-base:amd64'
E: Can't find a source to download version '17.0.17-ubuntu14.04.build1700161028.14' of 'plesk-base:amd64'
E: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download

shouldn't that be "17.0.17-ubuntu16.04.build..."?

Yes look at --> https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/a...ver-administration/distupgrade-support.74627/

To recover from a failed dist-upgrade, follow these steps:

Check updates for system packages

1. Make sure that both /etc/apt/sources.list and the repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ are switched to the new OS release (that is, "jessie" if you are upgrading to Debian 8, "wheezy" - to Debian 7, "trusty" - to Ubuntu 14.04, and "xenial" - to Ubuntu 16.04).
  2. Run the apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade commands. If no packages need to be updated, then the upgrades have already been installed. Otherwise, packages need to be upgraded. See the Upgrade packages section below for details.

Thanks for your quick response.
I already tried this bur with no result. All .list files reference xenial repos.
apt-get update shows a weak (SHA1) digest for Plesk Letsencrypt package for xenial
apt-get upgrade tells that libxmlrpc-core-c3 needs to be upgraded but for this all of the plesk packages needs to be uninstalled.

Update: tried this without luck

Last edited:
additionally the documentation is wrong:
Run the plesk-installer --skip-cleanup command must read plesk installer --skip-cleanup

but after running plesk installer and aptitude full-upgrade for about 10 times one after the other the system is up again. I needed to install the license again and some sites are answering with forbidden but I am sure that will be fixed in a minute.

Hi guys,
sometimes it's better to read a little more and longer about experiences by other users with the same problem and what they want to do.
I made the same mistake like both of you. Last autumn I tried to upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04 delivered by 1and1 on dedicated root server for crazy 8 times without success.
Problem: I didn't want to accept that it is strictly not recommened to update Ubuntu 14.0.4 to 16.0.4 in this environment because of cross dependencies between provider configurations, Ubuntu and Plesk, too. Too much cooks are cooking in the software kitchen trying to make this soup. (german speech).

Now, I'm totally satisfied by running Ubuntu 14.0.4 successfully together with awesome Plesk Onyx. Now, no problems, unbelievable harmony, it's fine.
Provider support told me that they will offer Ubuntu 16.0.4 together with Plesk Onyx as a default-server-software option.

hi/cheers
...sometimes its a bit tricky to upgrade - / till "kill the system" till "get out of range" nerves / and sometimes upgrading automatic "flowes" with "just prashing Enter" /

i know about people staying always at the oldest working Version Linux/Plesk, just upgrading importand system parts/mods.

Its the thing for people like us, they/we want to try the newest Versions at all. Figuring out
(after releases to work with)
the last bugs for the {/i really mean that/} awesome Plesk Coder (really awesome!)
they can work with our requests/failes/ they are close to every time and make the "flow" for automatic upgrade´s "user" friendly till perfect / live = at the same time we try/
i just think that i dont know that, sometimes its just a feeling when "playing" "upgrading" /

but for real that would make sense, when they are live checking the code/engine close to the user by upgrading. /
so that at one moment upgrading failed for days and at the next day/moment all works fine with the same sequence´s as before.

I am not a Coder/Programmer just a "User" managing and learning by "using" at my self (since plesk 9?10? cant remember), but i think i can see a "tiny" bit of the Power in Plesk´s Code/Engine - The Code lives ;)
The Engine is a Great "beast" / :)

// The upgrade from Ubuntu 14 to 16 and * is now really easy (fresh backups on your favorite FTPplace/ for big Backups / just to get safe)
you can migrate a hole Server backup from an Onyx/Ubuntu14 System without problems in a fresh Onyx/Ubuntu16 System.

/ just hit a few times Enter / when Ubuntu/System ask´s / by the upgrading process the System asked for hold old, or get new configurations
just use the default settings (which the system already pretends in the moment you see)

step by step / when needed for someone / dont know why i write/cp that / and really dont know why so stupid-detailed ;)
/ maybe usefull / seeing mistakes, pls -->catch me direct!

but ~ same it´s all described here from Plesk ---> https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/a...ver-administration/distupgrade-support.74627/

*should work for
  • Debian 6 to Debian 7
  • Debian 7 to Debian 8
  • Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.04
  • Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04

(for 14 to 16 it works i can say that)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for easy automatic upgrade flow //importand to do this step//
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{1}

Run the pre-upgrade script.
The pre-upgrade script is named =

distupgrade.helper.<OS.old-OS.new>_pre.sh

and it is located in the /usr/local/psa/bin directory.
check dir for your OS/name

This are OS namend commands for the uprade from
Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 OS with UpToDate Onyx - of course...

SSH via = sudo su change to "root" by Enter your pw for the sudo user / or type sudo at each command

cd /usr/local/psa/bin

root@yourserver~# cd /usr/local/psa/bin

sh distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16.x64.sh

root@yourserver /usr/local/psa/bin~# sh distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16.x64.sh
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{2}

after running the distupgrade.helper.<OS.old-OS.new>_pre.sh script

just Enter this command

do-release-upgrade

root@yourserver /usr/local/psa/bin~# do-release-upgrade

/its equial in which folder you hit the command

same like

root@yourserver~#
do-release-upgrade

or in home folder / whatever / yfikyans
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

upgrading takes a while // remember at this ** for the default settings by the upgrade process.
**by the upgrading process the System asked a few times for hold old, or get new configurations
just use the default settings (which the system already pretends in the moment you see)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{3}
when release upgrade is ready / i think the Server wants to reboot / all is done /

run the post-upgrade script.

distupgrade.helper.<OS.old-OS.new>_post.sh

its located in /usr/local/psa/bin

cd /usr/local/psa/bin

root@yourserver~# /usr/local/psa/bin

check dir for your OS

sh distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16.x64_post.sh

root@yourserver~# sh distupgrade.helper.ubt14-ubt16.x64_post.sh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
done / should be

After the post-upgrade script finishes, Plesk should be up and running.
You can check the upgrade log /var/log/plesk/install/plesk-distupgrade.log for detailed information about the upgrade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
source: https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/a...ver-administration/distupgrade-support.74627/

/// Ubuntu 16.04 looks totally overloaded i think / for secure?!best?! use i think its bedder to kick much parts after "well done" upgrade from ubuntu to dump / checking what i dont know / our datacenter is offline till Monday ....

Last edited:
Back