• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk panel says update available, CLI says server already has the latest version

Visnet

Basic Pleskian
Currently running Plesk Obsidian 18.0.27.1, I noticed Plesk panel mentioning the newer 18.0.28, which I found to be released on June 23, 2020.

However, if I try to update Plesk using plesk installer update plesk or plesk installer install-panel-updates, the installer says:
Code:
You already have the latest version of product(s) and all the selected components installed. Installation will not continue.

After searching the forums, the issue seems similar (but not identical) to:

I have tried the following, including suggested solutions from other threads:
  • cleaning Yum cache with yum clean all
  • checking settings: Automatically install Plesk updates is enabled
  • repatching Plesk 18.0.27.1 with plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components
  • repairing Plesk with plesk repair installation
  • file /root/.autoinstallerrc does not contain anything with SOURCE
  • pinging autoinstall.plesk.com => 1727842103.rsc.cdn77.org
  • refreshing Server Components through panel

How can I force the update to the latest version of Plesk (18.0.28) through CLI?

I am using:
CentOS 7.8.2003
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.27.1

Last edited:
Note, after trying to install the update with plesk installer update plesk, I found the file /var/log/plesk/install/autoinstaller3.log to contain:
Code:
[2020-06-28 20:28:47.473472] Release PLESK_18_0_28 is actual
[2020-06-28 20:28:47.473555] Release PLESK_18_0_28 is minor upgrade (stay on current license key)
[2020-06-28 20:28:47.473613] Release PLESK_18_0_27 is actual
[2020-06-28 20:28:47.473641] Release PLESK_18_0_27 is currently installed

# and

[2020-06-28 20:28:47.475043] The SelectBestBuild function has selected the build pool/PSA_18.0.27_3253/plesk-18.0.27-cos7-x86_64.inf3 for installation.

So I am note sure why Plesk does not want to install 18.0.28.

I know you are asking for CLI.

I'm just wondering do you have the upgrade option in "Tools and Settings" > "Updates"

I know you are asking for CLI.

I'm just wondering do you have the upgrade option in "Tools and Settings" > "Updates"
I have purposefully closed port 8447 because of security reasons.

Plesk panel seems to see the available update, though:

plesk-update.png

As far as I know, We need the port 8447 to be open for the updates.
This was not necessary for Plesk Onyx 17.8.x, I don't see why it would be necessary for Plesk Obsidian to allow incoming connections to this port if I prefer to use the CLI for updates.

Also, from the logs it is clear that 18.0.28 is actually detected on the remote source, so I doesn't look like a firewall issue.

Same issue with Plesk Obsidian 18.0.28 Update 2 released yesterday on June 6th, 2020. Plesk does not auto-update nor can I update to the latest version through plesk installer update plesk.

Why does Plesk Obsidian tell me I have the latest version, even though the autoinstaller log clearly shows that a newer version is available?

Bash:
# plesk installer list-all
Could you post the output of the first 5 rows?

Bash:
Could you post the output of the first 5 rows?
Code:
--- prod_id  release_id           (description)                            (tiers) ---
plesk        PLESK_18_0_28        (Plesk Obsidian 18.0.28)                 (development,testing,release,stable,current)
plesk        PLESK_18_0_27        (Plesk Obsidian 18.0.27)                 (currently installed)
plesk        PLESK_18_0_26        (Plesk Obsidian 18.0.26)                 (development,testing,release,stable,current)
plesk        PLESK_18_0_25        (Plesk Obsidian 18.0.25)                 (development,testing,current,release)
plesk        PLESK_18_0_24        (Plesk Obsidian 18.0.24)                 (development,testing,current,release)

Thank you for reporting back the result. it helps to predict the panel behavior
I hope I won't need this every time I want to update Plesk to the latest version
You don't have to do this every time, you can execute this command to upgrade:

Bash:
plesk installer --all-versions

and you can pick the version you want to upgrade to from the list.

Apologies for reviving this old thread but I am having sort off the same issue as @Visnet.

We have about 40 Plesk servers. Most of our Plesk servers update to newer versions just fine, but some don't.

On updating server A we see:
Code:
[2023-08-10 04:22:57.365742] The getBestBuild function has selected the build pool/PSA_18.0.54_12446/plesk-18.0.54-cos7-x86_64.inf3 for installation.

On not updating server B we see:
Code:
[2023-08-10 04:23:49.951857] The getBestBuild function has selected the build pool/PSA_18.0.53_12045/plesk-18.0.53-cos7-x86_64.inf3 for installation.

When we run plesk installer update plesk on not updating server B the output is:
Code:
You already have the latest version of product(s) and all the selected components installed. Installation will not continue.

And this is what happens when we run plesk installer list-all on both servers.
On updating server A the output is:
Code:
Checking for installed packages...
--- prod_id  release_id           (description)                            (tiers) ---
plesk        PLESK_18_0_54        (Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54)                 (currently installed)

And on not updating server B the output is:

Code:
Checking for installed packages...
plesk        PLESK_18_0_54        (Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54)                 (development,testing,release,current,stable)
plesk        PLESK_18_0_53        (Plesk Obsidian 18.0.53)                 (currently installed)

The web interface for updating server A reads: Checked on Aug 10, 2023 03:40 AM. Update to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54 is available.
The web interface for not updating server B reads: Checked on Aug 10, 2023 09:47 AM.

After we click Check for updates in the webinterface on not updating server B it becomes: Update to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54 is available.

Anyone has any idea why this server B might not be updating itself to a newer version by itself?

Does server B update when you use the GUI after the message that an update is available is shown?

Hello,

Anyone has any idea why this server B might not be updating itself to a newer version by itself?
Upgrade to the latest version major doesn't happen right after release. All Plesk servers are upgrading from the previous version to the latest by small bunches during 4–5 weeks after release. So if most of your server already upgraded to the latest version, and few still don't - it's OK, just wait for 2 weeks or upgrade them manually.

You already have the latest version of product(s) and all the selected components installed. Installation will not continue

When you call plesk installer update, Plesk checks for new patch available, not new version. So this command is for update Plesk from, i.e. 18.0.53.2 to 18.0.53.3. Most of the time, this command is unnecessary, because new patches for current version installed on a daily basis during Plesk daily task.

To install new version (to make an upgrade from 18.0.X to 18.0.Y) you need to use plesk installer upgrade command, like plesk installer upgrade PLESK_18_0_54.

All Plesk servers are upgrading from the previous version to the latest by small bunches during 4–5 weeks after release. So if most of your server already upgraded to the latest version, and few still don't - it's OK, just wait for 2 weeks or upgrade them manually.

Aha! Thanks.

Back