• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Problem with license update and wrong ip

ruleragency

New Pleskian
Hello,
I have a problem with one of my servers with plesk for a long time.
I have two ip's installed.

Product: Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.41

Main IP (Main and Plesk Licenced): xxx.xxx.xxx.51
Fallback IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.59

Every-time month i am trying to retrieve the new license and i get the below error:

The current Plesk license cannot be used with the xxx.xxx.xxx.59 IP address because the license is bound to another IP. This may happen if the license is used on multiple servers, which goes against Plesk End-User License Agreement: Legal. If you use the license on multiple servers, you need to buy a separate license (Plesk Pricing) for each server. If you have questions regarding this issue, contact our Licensing and Purchase team: Licensing and Purchase support

For some reason it recognizes the fallback IP as the main ip. As a result every month i have to remove the second ip, retrieve the license and then add the fall back ip all over.
If i don't do it in time, i get locked out of plesk and have to do this process from terminal.

I'm having the same problem. It has happened before and I had to get 1&1/IONOS support to fix the IP the license was bound to.

This appears to be a problem in Plesk. When a server has multiple IP addresses, there needs to be a way to select which of the installed IP addresses is the one Plesk uses to retrieve the license. Plesk seems to select a different IP address to renew from every few months. I don't know what changes, perhaps the order the IP addresses are bound to an interface during boot, but I don't seem to be able to control it. Very frustrating.

I'm having the same problem. It has happened before and I had to get 1&1/IONOS support to fix the IP the license was bound to.

This appears to be a problem in Plesk. When a server has multiple IP addresses, there needs to be a way to select which of the installed IP addresses is the one Plesk uses to retrieve the license. Plesk seems to select a different IP address to renew from every few months. I don't know what changes, perhaps the order the IP addresses are bound to an interface during boot, but I don't seem to be able to control it. Very frustrating.
Hi @mopanim, thank you for telling us about this issue. I've checked with staff and by default we are not connecting for or through one specific IP address. Maybe you would like to send me your license key in a private message so that we can check what's wrong with it?

Thanks Peter, I sent you a private message.

This is the advice I received from 1&1/IONOS support:
The steps below will help you bind license to primary IP address:

Log into your Plesk account and go to the Manage Licenses tab and click the license number. Then select More > Change Binding to IP Addresses from the menu.
I have never seen such an option, and I don't see anything like that now. Is this referring to something else entirely?

For Plesk partners it is possible to change the setting. I think it is not possible for end users. Ionos is a Plesk partner, so probably they see that setting in their user account. I don't think it can be seen in platfom360.io when you manage your servers. But the IP binding is exactly what we'll need to check here. When the system detects that the license is used on multiple servers, it also binds it to one IP.

Back