• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problem with outgoing emails, need really help

ngelG

Basic Pleskian
I have some domains and web sites in my vps with paralells plesk.
All the email outgoing in all my domains goes into spam folders in all the email servers (yahoo,hotmail,gmail...)
I Have roundcube installed for webmail, it failed in roundcube, in mozilla thunderbird as client, using php mails etc...
I think is the server configuration, but don't know what because I didn't modify nothing.

For example, If I send a mail to gmail, gmail says that:

Why is this message in the spam folder? We have detected that sends h2158278.stratoserver.net much spam.

dont know why it display "h2158278.stratoserver.net" instead the origin domain "godoymodas.es" (for example)

Do you guys know what can be?

* My IP is not in black lists

Google and all other mail server do an rDNS lookup on your IP address to determine the sending domain name. (translated IP to human word address). The rDNS record for your IP address is normally controlled by the organisation that provided it -- in this case Strato. In their records, that IP is set to translate to h2158278.stratoserver.net so you would need to ask them to change it.

I'm not sure how much good this will do, but it is a good start.

Next, check your system to make sure it is not sending spam. Services like Google, Yahoo, (Hotmail/Live.com/msn.com/outlook.com = microsoft) etc use their own systems for detecting spam, not the usual blacklists that other mail providers use. Unfortunately, in some cases, such as with Microsoft, if IPs close to your IP and belonging to the same organisation send a lot of spam then your IP can also be blocked.

But you are not blocked - your messages are ending up in spam folders - so that's not quite as bad.

You need to make sure that each domain has a correct SPF record.
You need to make sure you IP has a rDNS record (which it does, but not the ideal one)
You need to make sure your server is not sending spam

It is possible that one of your customers is deliberately sending large volumes of email which would be considered spam by most but may be considered "marketing" by them. Or it is possible that a bad spammer has obtained credentials and is sending lots of spam. Unfortunately I can't tell.

If this has happened since you set up your VPS then another possibility is that the IP address of your VPS was previously used by someone sending spam. That is to say there's nothing much wrong now, but the previous user of the IP was bad.

I'm sure other people will add their suggestions regarding what you might be able to do to improve deliverability and to check your system to make sure all is well.

Thanks for the information, my clients are not using the mail for spam, is a new VPS server and all my domains are under develepment.

Anyways, for example "godoymoda.com" and all my doamins have the SPF RECORD that parallels plesk create by defect.

Respect: "You need to make sure you IP has a rDNS record". How can I do it?

Thanks!

and all my doamins have the SPF RECORD that parallels plesk create by defect.

Are you using your Plesk server as your DNS server or are you using your domain registrars name servers?
If you are using your registrars you'll have to add your SPF there too.

Respect: "You need to make sure you IP has a rDNS record". How can I do it?

You need to ask Strato to change the PTR/rDNS of your ip address to, for example..

mail.yourdomain.com

Hope that helps
Regards

Lloyd

I'm using my domains as dns. All my domains have the TXT SPF records because parallels plesk make it by default.
I sent a message to my VPS provider (strato) telling them the PTR/rDNS for my ip. I will tell you when I know something.
Thanks for helping.

The response from my provider:

"I have found that you have a contract "Virtual Server M (Liunx)". STRATO AG provides the tools for your internet presence, however does not offer service in creating content or manage your server.

In turn, when a customer purchases a server, STRATO facilitates full permissions to install it on whatever you want and make the modifications that you wish, provided it is also the same customer who is responsible to obtain licenses for it and good management and operations of the software used.

On the other hand, I also feel that inform PTR / rDNS records are coded in our servers. Modifiable the DNS has available des panel from within your client for your server
"

So what can I do now?

I just checked your domain at mxtoolbox.com and your domain godoymoda.com, your smtp server still has the "h2158278.stratoserver.net" hostname.

Firstly change your hostname in Plesk

Tool & Settings -> Server Settings

to for example mail.godoymoda.com
And then you need to edit your /etc/postfix/main.cf file and add your mail.godoymoda.com..

myhostname = mail.godoymoda.com
myorigin = mail.godoymoda.com
mydestination = mail.godoymoda.com, localhost, localhost.localdomain

And I just checked your domain for a valid SPF, none were found, responding nameserver was ns.stratoserver.net so Plesk is not handling DNS your Domain registrar is.

I hope that helps
Kind regards

Lloyd

I have only 2 IPS.
I saw an option in my provider VPS setting where can specify the rDNS, i will try with this.

But, how can I controlate the spam outgoing problem with a shared IP in multiple domains?

Attachments

• Sin título.png
    Sin título.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Guys, now I have the rDNS ok, but my domain "genetikasystems.es" still does not return txt record and dont know why.
This server acts as the primary name server for DNS zone genetikasystems.es

Apparently now my mails dont go to spam outgoing folders, but I think if genetikasystems.es does not resolves txt record I could have future problems of this type right?

I will explain you better with that image:

mail_outgoing_problem.png

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Yes, because although you have ticked "This server acts as the primary name server for DNS zone genetikasystems.es" you are still using strato nameservers.

nameserver.png

You either need to add your name server (at the registrar) or add the SPF record to the registrars DNS panel (not in Plesk).
I'm not sure where that is with you provider.
I hope that helps a bit.
kind regards

Lloyd

Unfortunately I haven't that option in my isp (STRATO) :(
I hope have no problem with my outgoings mails so else the last option would be to rent a dedicated server: (

Ok thanks all for help me. I'm a vps novice.
Searching in the strato panel, I found the option where can use my own name server in the domain (but strato call "genetikasystems.es" as subdomain, dont know why).
Do you know a guide how to configure my own name servers for use it for all my clients domains????
I dont see the option for paste all the parallels plesk dns configuration to the strato DNS.

Sin título.png

Ok thanks all for help me. I'm a vps novice.
Searching in the strato panel, I found the option where can use my own name server in the domain (but strato call "genetikasystems.es" as subdomain, dont know why).
Do you know a guide how to configure my own name servers for use it for all my clients domains????
I dont see the option for paste all the parallels plesk dns configuration to the strato DNS.

View attachment 8143

if you need to set own dns in strato you need set the dns settings of your domain to default (DNS Einstellungen zurücksetzen) in deutsch
then option dinamic dns will be enabled
if you need change PTR in your vps go to config.stratoserver.net/-> domain configuration -> dns reverse

sorry for my english
i hope this post help somebody

Last edited:
Back