• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail & greylisting spam control

hi,

i'm having a short question concerning greylisting with plesk 8.0.1 (debian 3.1) i've just added the following entry to the relaytofrom database:

INSERT INTO relaytofrom (relay_ip, mail_from, rcpt_to, block_expires,
record_expires, origin_type, create_time) VALUES (NULL, NULL,
'domain.com', NOW(), '2099-12-31 23:59:59', 'MANUAL', NOW())

after this i checked the table and i was wondering because of the new
entries concerning the whitelisted domain "domain.com". there
are hundreds of new entries for this domain after i tried to whitelist
the domain with the lines above.

any idea?

greets

Hi;

after installing greylist on a debian / qmail / plesk server and using it with success, i would like to modify the delays (block_expires, record_expires ...).

But no way to finf hox to do it!
I have lokked for the local_scan.c file, but no longer on my server.

Where can i modify this informations on a debian / qmail server?

Thanks for your help

Originally posted by romino
i would like to modify the delays (block_expires, record_expires ...).

I have lokked for the local_scan.c file, but no longer on my server.

Those settings are indeed contained in the file local_scan.c and must be changed in that file. After changing them, you must recompile the code to generate the new qmail-smtpd and qmail-envelope-scanner files that then you need to install (copy the files to /var/qmail/bin) in order to start using your new settings.

If local_scan.c is no longer on your server you would have obtain it - presumably the same place you obtained it originally when you installed greylisting and compiled the original programs.

Originally posted by mEhmEh
i've just added the following entry to the relaytofrom database:

INSERT INTO relaytofrom (relay_ip, mail_from, rcpt_to, block_expires,
record_expires, origin_type, create_time) VALUES (NULL, NULL,
'domain.com', NOW(), '2099-12-31 23:59:59', 'MANUAL', NOW())

after this i checked the table and i was wondering because of the new
entries concerning the whitelisted domain "domain.com". there
are hundreds of new entries for this domain after i tried to whitelist
the domain with the lines above.

The fact that you have whitelisted a sender domain but still see entries in the database afterwards does not mean that whitelisting isn't working. The code checks for a whitelisted domain when it determines if it should accept the message or defer it - but it still adds records even if it has accepted the message due to whitelisting. I suppose it would be more efficient if the code simply didn't add those additional records, but in all the code I have seen, it adds them.

Also - the fact that you have added a domain name record to be whitelisted doesn't mean that whitelisting is actually working either. Depending on what code you installed from, the domain whitelist function may or may not be actually implemnted - I have seen code where it is not. You would have to check the local_scan.c file to see exactly what tests are implemented.

Thank you for your help.

How can i make it if the file is no longer on my server? You say:

If local_scan.c is no longer on your server you would have obtain it - presumably the same place you obtained it originally when you installed greylisting and compiled the original programs

But could you tell me more beacause i am lost ...

qgreylisting

The gentleman who has graciously shared his solution regarding greylisting, failed to acknowledge that Jon Atkins stated that his solution is NOT compatible with SMTP-AUTH and he provided a simple solution which all plesk boxes support out of the box and should be implemented anyway.

Here is the solution.

All inbound mail goes through port 25, and all clients use port 465 which they should use anyway.

Why? Well, many ISPs are blocking port 25 anyway for one. And secondly, your clients should be using SSL encryption to protect their password from being sniffed.

This way if they are at a hotel or public wi-fi, they don't have to worry about their email being sniffed.

So it was incorrect for the gentleman to state that qgreylisting WILL NOT work with Plesk. It was a false statement.

Qgreylisting is VERY powerful and is VERY easy to implement. It can be installed in literally 5-10 minutes and DOES NOT interfere with PLESK in anyway. It is VERY clean.

It supports a simple whitelist solution.
It support /24 ip address whitelisting and approval which is key for clustered mail servers.
It is very simple to maintain.

Thank you

Thank you for your help.

How can i make it if the file is no longer on my server? You say:

If the file is no longer on your server so that you can edit it and recompile the code with the changed settings, then you can't make the changes.

Somehow, you got greylisting installed in the first place - can you obtian the code that was used to do the initial installation? If someone else installed it for you (and deleted the code after installation) then you would have to contact them. If you installed it, then you would have to redownload the source code you used to install it so that you can edit the file, recompile, and reinstall.

Hi,

and I only have to install your RPM and I will have all right to continue working without problems?

your RPM integrates into PLESK?

Have I to configure any parameter?

Thank you very very much

Originally posted by redprive
Hi,

I have read http://meshier.com/2006/09/18/adding-greylisting-support-to-qmail-on-plesk-8/ to install qgreylist but I see this solution works on Plesk 8 and I don't want to try before I question in this forum.

Can you say me how I can to install qgreylist in my Plesk 7.5.4?

Thank you very much

It works. Just installed on my 7.5.4 system. One note, make sure your database user name and the GRANT statement user name match. His how to has them as greylist and greylisting.

-M

i tried to install it on a new server (debian with plek 8).
But a new problem occured: openssl-devel is absent and i don't find the deb sources for it.

What should i do?

openssl-dev

I have installed the libssl-dev package, which is part of openssl, in order to make greylisting compile (a rename of openssl-dev ?)

i tried to install it on a new server (debian with plek 8).
But a new problem occured: openssl-devel is absent and i don't find the deb sources for it.

What should i do?

I think you'll find that the openssl-devel is installed, but is in a different location. You need to edit the

In the makefile the default path is /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a

it should be /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.a

change the location in the Makefile, and try to make again

Edit: oops. that's libmysql.

Hi there,

my greylisting works fine, since i upgraded Plesk from 8.1.0 to 8.1.1

Now it won't work. Somebody with the same Problem and have fixed it?

greetings

specimen

howto whitelist a sender domain

Hi after reading this long thread i am still confused howto whitelist a sender domain by name (like arcor.de), with whitelisted sender IP`s it works like a charm.

I installed Brent Meshiers Version http://meshier.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/qmail-103-greylist-psa8.tar.gz

as i understud it has to be implemented in the local_scan.c but i am not eable to find out how, or is it in this version not implemented. So the question is how / where to get a local_scan.c that makes me eable to whitelist a sender domain by name?

any hint what i have done wrong ?

thanks for your help

Back