• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Question for nameserver function on plesk

RichardBeij

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.58_build1800240123.15 os_Ubuntu 22.04
Hello all,

I have a question.

I have registered a domain called for example 'x.ext'

I don't configured the domain 'x.ext' in Plesk, but what i want is that if i setup the nameserver on the dns on the domain 'x.ext', it will go to a default page. For example the default plesk page. (Page not configured)

This is what i get now:

$ dig A @ns1.nameserver.ext x.ext

$ dig A @ns2.nameserver.ext x.ext

If i go to the domain, 'x.ext' via http then i see DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

How can i setup Plesk to fix this case?

Thanks in advance, if you need further information. Don't hesitate to ask me!

This is what happening in systemlog without adding the domain in plesk.

client @0x7fbb84017bc8 2a04:*****::65#41982 (head****.com): query (cache) 'head****.com/A/IN' denied (allow-query-cache did not match)

Is there anyone with an answer, I don’t wanna upgrade my plesk license because i only use redirects. That can be solved with this solution

What you want to achieve, normally works out of the box with Plesk.
But first you need to configure your nameservers (ns1.nameserver.ext & ns2.nameserver.ext) properly for this domain, as this is clearly not that case here

Thanks for your answer!

Strange, it isn’t work out of the box.

Nameservers are set on the domain to the right nameservers.

Domain works directly when i configure the domain in plesk when adding it. Before an error while access it with http or https.

I don’t have an default plesk page for domains not added to plesk while they pointing to the right nameservers.

This is what happens in systemlog while trying to reach the domain pointing to the right nameservers:

client @0x7fbb84017bc8 2a04:*****::65#41982 (head****.com): query (cache) 'head****.com/A/IN' denied (allow-query-cache did not match)

Correct me if i’m wrong!

Well, seems you have your own Plesk server specified as (primary & secondary) nameserver for this domain, so then of course you need to configure this domain in the DNS configuration of your Plesk server.
How else should DNS resolution ever work, if there is no configuration anywhere that tells the client, that www.headserver.nl or headserver.nl points to the IP address of your server?

So in your case (not using external nameservers) you need to set up this domain on your Plesk server, as else where to configure it's DNS records?
But you can disable the web service (and mail service) for this subscription, as you obviously do not want to use that.

But when i register 200 domain names, pointing to my nameservers.

It’s not possible without dns configuration that it points to the default plesk page of the server or nameserver?

What i want is a wildcard * pointing every domain what is not configured in dns to the default plesk page.

Sedo.com is a good example, when pointing to ns1 and ns2.sedoparking.com, it directly works without adding the domains to my account.

You will see a standard broker page.

But when i register 200 domain names, pointing to my nameservers.

It’s not possible without dns configuration that it points to the default plesk page of the server or nameserver?

What i want is a wildcard * pointing every domain what is not configured in dns to the default plesk page.

Sedo.com is a good example, when pointing to ns1 and ns2.sedoparking.com, it directly works without adding the domains to my account.

You will see a standard broker page.
When creating domain alias it doesn’t work also.

Not Found​

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Apache Server at headserver.nl Port 443

Probably because this beij.biz is also a redirect.

What i really want, is that this will happen automatically. Without creating an alias.

But cannot configure the alias in dns. Only synchronize dns or redirect to domain with the domain i selected.

Certificate also gives an error need to redirect the http to the right server without certificate warning.

What am i doing wrong? How to setup the Wildcard Alias for all domains.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 3
I find this solution:

Code:
if ($host ~ 'headserver.nl'){
    rewrite ^/(.*)$ http://beij.biz/$1 permanent;
}

Ill will play with it, if you have any ideas to do this for all domains like * let me know. I don’t want conflicts with configured domains in plesk.

Is this safe to add without conflicting configured websites?

Code:
if ($host ~ '@'){
    rewrite ^/(.*)$ http://beij.biz/$1 permanent;
}

Yes, this works because Sedo.com does automatically set up ALL of these domain on their nameservers and create A-records pointing to the IP address of their webserver with this parking site.

Yes, this works because Sedo.com does automatically set up ALL of these domain on their nameservers and create A-records pointing to the IP address of their webserver with this parking site.
It also work without adding the website to sedo. Thats what i want. If its configured then you will be redirected to your own sales page.

It also work without adding the website to sedo. Thats what i want. If its configured then you will be redirected to your own sales page.
This works because Sedo does automatically configure a DNS zone for all these domains, regardless if you add a website or not.
Without DNS nothing (and I really mean nothing) works

You could try to create a zone named "." and then add a record *. to it that points to your server's IP address. Plesk just does not support it from the GUI, and I am not sure whether it can be done directly without any negative impact on the maintenance of BIND content by the Plesk component. Sure SEDO can do it as they will most likely have an individually designed setup to handle the masses of domains they advertise.

Peter surely does like to live dangerous :D

But, if anyone really tries to attempt that, just do not forget to check /etc/resolv.conf (or wherever your distro has it's resolving nameservers configured) and configure some public DNS, as else your server will most likely no longer be able to contact any external domain. (for sending emails, installing updates etc.)

Back