• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Redis installation routine

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi,
Thanks a lot for Your "Installing Redis instruction" @IgorG. I used it successfully for several times on Ubuntu 16 and now I will install Redis on Ubuntu 18 with PLESK ONYX 17.8.11.
Last installation in spring this year I discovered one or two differences between Your guide and the Redis install source and also other references, which makes me unsure.
Redis recommends after "make" and/or not "make test":
It is a good idea to copy both the Redis server and the command line interface in proper places, either manually using the following commands:
  • sudo cp src/redis-server /usr/local/bin/
  • sudo cp src/redis-cli /usr/local/bin/
Or just using sudo make install.
Do You recommend this two steps also, according to PLESK environment/structure, or not?

The second point is about creating Redis systemd Unit File:
Example1 (Scroll down to headline Create a Redis systemd Unit File)
and
Example2:

I did this also the last time, but according to permanent improvements of OS's, PLESK and Redis itself, perhaps it's not necessary any longer?

Greets

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks a lot for Your "Installing Redis instruction" @IgorG. I used it successfully for several times on Ubuntu 16 and now I will install Redis on Ubuntu 18 with PLESK ONYX 17.8.11.
Last installation in spring this year I discovered one or two differences between Your guide and the Redis install source and also other references, which makes me unsure.
Redis recommends after "make" and/or not "make test":

Do You recommend this two steps also, according to PLESK environment/structure, or not?

The second point is about creating Redis systemd Unit File:
Example1 (Scroll down to headline Create a Redis systemd Unit File)
and
Example2:

I did this also the last time, but according to permanent improvements of OS's, PLESK and Redis itself, perhaps it's not necessary any longer?

Greets

Hello @Dukemaster,
on Ubuntu LTS, I recommand you to install Redis from PPA if you do not want to have to compile redis-server each time there is a new release available. chris-lea PPA provide the the latest redis-server release and regular updates (for few years now).

But to answer to your questions about compiling redis, "make test" is recommended before running "make install" to check if your system is fully compatible with the program you compiled previously with "make". But after running the command
Code:
 sudo make install
you should not need to copy redis binary in /usr/local/bin directory.

About systemd service, Redis provide a bash script (install_server.sh) to automatically install redis-server.service after checking configuration and path, so it's probably the best way to do it. I'm not sure following the tutorial Example1 is a very good idea, because on Debian/Ubuntu, systemd service should not be added directly in /etc/systemd/system. It should be created in /lib/systemd/system and systemd will create a symlink when the command "systemctl enable name.service" will be used.

Hi at all,
Thanks for feedback and inspirations making the installation as good as possible.

- My first question is obsolet, because after installation of Redis I saw that both files (redis-cli, redis-server and 3 other files, plus an symlink named redis-sentinel) are already existing in /usr/local/bin. Really no need to do it twice...:)

- Systemd: You are right, these 2 tutorials are only a hint in the right direction, you have to adjust it a lil closer. The pid file is not in /var/run/redis it's directly located in /var/run/. Therefor you have to adjust all related files in which this path is integrated.
But I have to say, that Redis, Ubuntu and Plesk have so much improved that @IgorG's guide leaded directly to an successful installation (awesome).
I only asked to be sure there are no great differences. Now 3 communities with woltlab software are running like a charm and fast with redis cache.
Thanks for help and also for the tipps for next time (chris-lea PPA)
Sorry @bulent I would like to help You, but I don't use Docker. For sure the best address is @virtubox and other guys here in Plesk forum.

Last edited:
Hello,
is there any drawbacks using redis on docker container?

Thanks

Hello @bulent,
Performance should be very similar between redis on docker and redis installed from packages. Regarding security, it require to enable the firewall to block external access on the port exposed for redis, because even with a password protection, redis is still easy to bruteforce.
Upgrade will have to be performed manually by recreating the container using the Plesk Docker manager.

Hi at all,
Thanks for feedback and inspirations making the installation as good as possible.

- My first question is obsolet, because after installation of Redis I saw that both files (redis-cli, redis-server and 3 other files, plus an symlink named redis-sentinel) are already existing in /usr/local/bin. Really no need to do it twice...:)

- Systemd: You are right, these 2 tutorials are only a hint in the right direction, you have to adjust it a lil closer. The pid file is not in /var/run/redis it's directly located in /var/run/. Therefor you have to adjust all related files in which this path is integrated.
But I have to say, that Redis, Ubuntu and Plesk have so much improved that @IgorG's guide leaded directly to an successful installation (awesome).
I only asked to be sure there are no great differences. Now 3 communities with woltlab software are running like a charm and fast with redis cache.
Thanks for help and also for the tipps for next time (chris-lea PPA)
Sorry @bulent I would like to help You, but I don't use Docker. For sure the best address is @virtubox and other guys here in Plesk forum.

You're welcome !

Back