• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Rocky Linux 9 Compatibility?

J.Wick

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Centos 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
Has anyone tried Plesk on Rocky Linux 9 yet?

I have to upgrade this Centos 7.9 servers and want to go with the longest-term support distro.

Hello, I have wordpress sites. Centos will be terminated in the future, so I'm considering switching to RockyLinux operating system. Which version of RockyLinux can I use, which plesk supports with performance?

It is a shame plesk does not support rocky 9.
Nobody can really answer why its not supported. Cause rocky and alma are identical.

It is a shame plesk does not support rocky 9.
Nobody can really answer why its not supported. Cause rocky and alma are identical.

Did you ask why it's not supported? I'm sure there is a valid reason for this.

Unfortunately, RockyLinux 8 has shown a very low level of demand. However, any supported OS costs Plesk serious development resources and the daily cost of automated testing on the cloud platform.
Therefore, support for RockyLinux 9, although considered, is not a priority.

plesk license costs are very high for individual users, economic license type for individual restrictions should be offered within operating systems, the plesk company should naturally run work.

@IgorG where can one show the demand for rocky 9? I also have been waiting for this. Are you saying the only option is to run alma linux 9 to use plesk?

Hi,

You can vote for Rocky Linux 9 here:

And yes, currently, only Almalinux 9 is supported.

Development for Rocky Linux 9 will not be a priority because of low demand for Rocky Linux 8. I strongly suggest to migrate to Alma Linux instead.

It is really annoying I am little angry, sory... Hetzner cloud console has Rocky and Centos installation (where Plesk doesnt work well), Plesk hasnt Rocky 9 and I should convert now to Alma. Please stop this corporate games we are open source community, mostly costs are on Plesk licences wptools and securities. I think regarding LiteSpeed aggressiveness on the market Plesk should step out of comfort zone...

Hey @jcvikl,

As much as I agree, problem is, developing something takes time, research, trials, and even money. Even in an open source community there's people that would work on something but if they're not getting paid for it and get crapped on would drop the project completely. Since Plesk itself is not open source they have developers on payroll so they can develop it, which takes time and research and testing.

Also, let's be honest here, nothing is 100% open source anymore. You have a lot of distros that mostly open source but there's a lot of proprietary software out there as well. Hell, even most distros that's freely available are also playing those "corporate games" that you've referred to, it's just how the world turns. Plus if you look at the market share for Linux distros used for websites, you would see that the major players are actually Ubuntu (32.1%), Debian (16.8%), and CentOS (8.6%), Rocky isn't even listed (AlmaLinux is there in the top 10) (Usage Statistics and Market Share of Linux for Websites, January 2023).

In terms of LiteSpeed, they don't seem to be all that aggressive considering their current market share of servers using it is currently 11.6% compared to 34% for Nginx and 33.2% for Apache (Nginx vs. Apache vs. LiteSpeed usage statistics, January 2023), which is saying something considering LiteSpeed came out in 2003, a year before Nginx.

Basically if there's no interest and people actually voting for items (as linked by maartenv above), it basically gets put on the back burner for testing and providing official support. Nothing's something you from trying to actually install Plesk and test it out, it just won't be officially supported since it hasn't been fully tested and work out whatever quirks that distro might have for it to just work.

Development for Rocky Linux 9 will not be a priority because of low demand for Rocky Linux 8. I strongly suggest to migrate to Alma Linux instead.
Thank you ! It has enabled me to proceed in the correct direction.
Rocky go home!!

Back