• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Secure IMAP and SMTP subdomain based on customers domain name

krikey

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.49 Update #2
Hello,

Whilst I know that you can allocate the main domain names letsencrypt SSL cert for use with IMAP/SMTP/POP3 connections, it doesn't seem possible to allocate a custom subdomain for IMAP/SMTP/POP3 use.

For example, I'd like to use mail.mydomain.com as my server name and also get a validated letsencrypt certificate for it to work with IMAP/SMTP/POP3.

Is this possible?

Yes, it is possible when you do not use "Add Subdomain" to add a subdomain, but instead use "Add Domain" and then enter the full subdomain including domain into the domain field.

Thanks for your reply.

I did try your suggestion of adding a domain but this didn't seem t work as expected on my install. However adding a subdomain of the main domain with no hosting services, allowed me to create an SSL cert for it.

I could then use that SSL cert within the mail settings for that domain and secure it that way.

Its a shame that Plesk don't offer this as an automation as it might be useful, especially if you're using a third party CDN such as Cloudflare but still want to offer a nicer looking mailserver name for customers.

Revisiting this again and thanks for you help so far.

Plesk generates a URL at example.com/mail/config-v1.1.xml?emailaddress=user%40example.com where Thunderbird looks to get the autoconfig details from the server.

This file/URL uses example.com as the IMAP or SMTP servers which then breaks if I'm using web proxying for that domain in Cloudflare.

Is it possible to overwrite this file with a subdomain such as mail.someotherdomain.com globally on the Plesk server?

Thanks. Ive set the new autodiscover URL and can confirm that I can see the XML output at https://someotherdomain.com/mail/[email protected]

I restarted Apache, Dovecot, Postfix & Plesk Milter (this may not be necessary).

However the XML is still listing the original example.com domain as the IMAP and SMTP servers, not the new someotherdomain.com domain.

Turns out that I also had to cycle the "Enable mail autodiscover" option within the subsctiption itself too before the XML updated to use someotherdomain.com

Back