• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Separate eMail server

Think its not possible now. But a cool feature for the future. If you need 2 Servers because of perfomance it could be a better way to use one server for web and one server for email instead of half of your customers on every server.

Think its not possible now. But a cool feature for the future. If you need 2 Servers because of perfomance it could be a better way to use one server for web and one server for email instead of half of your customers on every server.

It is question about possibility of Plesk clusterization... It was discussed on this Plesk forum some time ago and we have corresponding feature request.

Clusterization would be one thing...how about the simple option to have plesk acting like a mail relay? I mean it's not hard to configure postfix that way, the point here is, it would need a option in the control panel so let's say disable local mail for one domain and enter a destination ip where the mail should be relayed AFTER being checked for spam and viruses. That way Plesk could be used as a allround Product. Actually we are having customers which just want pure virus/spam checking trough a gateway and have it relayed to their mailserver, we need a extra server for this right now.

Just deactivate e-mail in your domain and set MX record to another mail-server. Ok then there is no e-mail and virus checking but in my oppinion allways the LAST email server should do such things. Otherwise you have x relay servers and you never know which of them has filtered mail x. this would be an administration pain.

full Clusterization includes automatic mailbox creation on the remote mail-server(s) and such things. this would be a very nice feature:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole idea here is that email is "best effort" and should be low priority. It shouldn't interfere with web which has to be fast with low latency. I've off loaded spam and virus scanning to my mail relay but pop/imap is an IO(HDD) hog.
I could (if we still hosted our own boxes) had a new hard drive array but with our server at a co-lo/dedicated host, this is not feasible.
I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this boat.

The whole idea here is that email is "best effort" and should be low priority. It shouldn't interfere with web which has to be fast with low latency. I've off loaded spam and virus scanning to my mail relay but pop/imap is an IO(HDD) hog.
i fully agree with this! a clustering solution is exatly what you (we) need to avoid this.

Your solution is a first step and easier to implement but a full cluster solution with managing mailboxes on the remote server with plesk would be the best solution :)

Back