• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Server reboot question

P

pstechnology

How do I find our if a Linux server is rebooting or not?

I suspect my box (FC4 with Plesk 8.1.1) is rebooting regularly. I have checked the messages log in /var/log and there is not indication in there that the server has rebooted, and the boot.log files are showing as 0 bytes, even after a manual reboot.

My suspiscion is coming from the fact that on some days I do not receive a logwatch email. I have the box set to send a detailed logwatch file daily. When I reboot the server manually, I do not receive that email for that day. The thing is, I am not receiving the email every day, despite not manually rebooting the server.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I'd check the uptime of the box. And have you checked your maillog to check on those logwatch emails? Maybe some spam filter is catching them somewhere?

Hi

Thanks for your response.

The uptime is reading : 5%1 day(s) 10:51

Interestingly, the maillog files are all showing 0 bytes.

I am running 4PSA cleanserver and spamguardian, does anyone know if they redirect the maillog files to elsewhere?

Any other ideas how I can find out when the reboot is happening and what is causing it?

Thanks

There is a bug in the display of the uptime in current Plesk versions. Please just run the uptime command in a shell.

Run grep maillog /etc/syslog.conf to find the location of the maillog. I believe it's in /usr/local/psa/var/log/ on most systems.

Hello Breun

You are right about the maillog files, they are elsewhere.

I have run the uptime command, and it shows a 5 day up time. I have also looked at the maillog files, and it does look like the failure to receive the Logwatch email is something to do with either permissions, a DNS problem or a spam blocker.

I will investigate further. Thank you all for your help so far. If I find a cause, I will post the results here for anyone else with a similar query.

Back