• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

setting chmod to 777 after a while is back 755

F

funkoolow

hi all,
as in title, if i create a domain via plesk 10.4.4 and then set a specific dir in /my/path/to/domain/httpdocs/mydir to 777 (via ftp or plesk seems the same), after a day or two that value goes back to a default value of 755. is there some automatic procedure that periodically checks for something set different than 755 in the domain structure? or something somewhere to configure to stop that to happen?

thanks everyone.

Why on earth would you like your directories or files to be 777 ? 755 should be sufficient !
On my server I don't let anyone use 777.

When I first started my VPS I suffered the same problem, and I must admit setting up the correct users/groups with their correct permissions was like going through hell.

Basicly it all comes down to install something like SUPHP (http://www.suphp.org). Without a tool like that, all users will be added to the apache-group, with many security-risks as a consequence.

Avoid using 777, really !

P.S. : Nobody learned me, so to be honest ... it took me about 14 days to figure it out and get it to work (I never worked with command-prompts that time). But I guess experienced users should be able to do it in 15 minutes :)

thanks for the answer SixtenT,
what I need to know is if there's something in Plesk that acts periodically to change permissions that I set to different values and eventually how to cotrol its behaviour (and your case also seems to confirm).

thanks in advance for any other help

Not to my knownledge. Plesk is rather independent from your OS or webfiles.
Is the problem occuring on all sites/files or are these files that change permission part of a script ?

The problems looks like a cron-job of an installed php-script that running every x-hours of x-days to check if the security of the installed script is still o.k., and repairs it if it finds some anomalies (like 777).

I don't think it has got anything to do with Plesk.

Back