• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Setting CRON for every other day

Twincarb

New Pleskian
Hi,
I have just ventured into the black art of setting a CRON job on my server... I have quite a few that work without any issue the one that's got me stumped is the requirement for a script to be every other day.

The server is using Centos 7

The format that I thought should work is 1 7 * * *1/2 which should trigger at 0701 every other day.

Can anyone suggest a better format? When do I want to start this job in relation to the first day I want it to fire.

Thanks in advance for some black magic wisdom!

Dave

Hi Twincarb,

Your "thought" can't work, because there are 5 possible option - fields for a crontab:
Code:
-     -     -     -     -
|     |     |     |     |
|     |     |     |     +----- day of week ( 0 - 6 ) ( Sunday = 0 )
|     |     |     +------- month ( 1 - 12 )
|     |     +--------- day of month ( 1 - 31 )
|     +----------- hour ( 0 - 23 )
+------------- min ( 0 - 59 )
Your actual setting for "day of week" ( => *1/2 ) is a misconfiguration, because the possible options are here: 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 or 6 - nothing more. ;) So if you desire the cron to be executed on Mondays and Tuesdays, you would certainly use "Mon,Tue" or "1,2".

which should trigger at 0701 every other day
? Sorry, it is unclear, what you desire. Pls. try to be more precise in your next thread to avoid guessings. ;)

In addition, your question is absolutely not Plesk - related and therefore at the wrong forum. Pls. consider to open such a question at:

Back