• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Setting up a forwarding-only email address - why does it need a password?

jproactive

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.54 Update #4
I would like to set up a mail address that is only for forwarding and does not have mailboxes (inbox, sent, etc).

At
Code:
https:/..../smb/email-address/create/domainId/1#
I can see how to switch off the mailboxes and switch on forwarding, but it's still insisting on a password - this does not make sense.

Even thought you're using this email address as a forwarding email only with no mailbox, a password is still required because you're still creating a user account. A user account is still needed for the forwarding to work. This is why a password is required.

Even thought you're using this email address as a forwarding email only with no mailbox, a password is still required because you're still creating a user account. A user account is still needed for the forwarding to work. This is why a password is required.
I looked at the Users page in Plesk after creating the email address, and there's no corresponding user. Is it a sort of hidden user? I would never want to log in with the forwarding email, so I don't need a user, but I'm puzzled that you say it creates a user account that I cannot see. Would you mind sharing where that user is stored please (on disk or in a database)?

It's probably just a glitch in the Matrix, a known issue. Just set any random password, it's not going to do anything if your don't also have a real physical mailbox.

Back