• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Subdomain alias

dataconnect

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Obsidian
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi,

When you read the topic title I know; there is no gui option to add an alias to a subdomain. And for what I understand when we are grey and old the future is still not available.
Prioritizing on customer feedback is not something they like or in this case a future that's almost 10 years on the plesk vote. Good job PLESK!

If we hadn't 100+ servers with plesk we left plesk a long time ago!

Is there any way to alias to a subdomain without 301 and without using a subdomain as a domain?
The whole idea is to have all subdomains clean and tidy below the domain.

If we use a subdomain as a domain it will a-z in the view and if there are 50+ records it will get a big mess.

it will redirect 301.
There are some funny things through

found; ssh plesk bin domalias

if I use ssh 'plesk bin domalias ### -web true' it works sort of. I cant find the alias in 'power user' however in 'service provider' it's visible. My 2 cents is thats its not connected to user 'admin'. So if I use 'service provider' it's listed.

Also a note;
When someone creates an alias on a domain. DNS records for the alias are created and also for any subdomain related.

example.com
sub.example.com

When creating an alias in the gui for example.com it also creates DNS records for subdomain alias.

ssh 'plesk bin domalias' will not work because the DNS records exist.
So in this case all related aliases need to be removed and added one by one 'plesk bin domalias ### -web true' to get it to work.

i will test it further if this is workable

Back