• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Unable to enable gzip compression

Robert Alexander

Basic Pleskian
Hi.
I've got WP optimise setup on the domain of my server.
I want to enable GZIP server wide using SSH as advised on the Plesk Forum. HERE
I've done all the checks and followed the instructions and I am receiving this message from the Plugin.
We successfully added Gzip compression settings into .htaccess file. However, the test file we fetched was not Gzip-compressed. Possible causes include that Apache (your webserver) is not configured to allow .htaccess files to take effect, or one of Apache modules - mod_filter or mod_deflate - is not active, or the webserver is configured to disallow Gzip compression. You should speak to your web hosting support to find how to enable it.
The only error I get using SSH is this, and it may be the reason why I can't get GZIP enabled.
[root@server ~]# grep -ir "mod_filter.so" /etc/httpd/conf.modules.d/00-base.conf
LoadModule filter_module modules/mod_filter.so
[root@server ~]# LoadModule filter_module modules/mod_filter.so
-bash: LoadModule: command not found
However, now I don't know what else I can do, so that the filter module is found. It's definitely enabled on the Server

Any ideas?

Code:
[root@server ~]# LoadModule filter_module modules/mod_filter.so
-bash: LoadModule: command not found

If you mean step 5 from instruction, that line

is not a command that should be run, but the expected output of the command

# grep -ir "mod_filter.so" /etc/httpd/conf.modules.d/00-base.conf

So, I'd suggest you use Enabling per-domain using Plesk interface instruction if you are not familiar with the Linux command line.

Thanks Peter. The plugin decided to do some test file, so I don't know what that is.
However I did it using this solution.
I did it server wide using SSH and created a GZip Conf.d file in nginx.
Thanks for everyone's assistance though
What a great place and with helpful folks responding quickly.
Glad to be engaged here.

You might want to consider using BROTLI, which is the successor of Gzip. It's enabled by default in Plesk unless Gzip is active and offers a higher compression rate.

You can check if it's active with this site:

Back