1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Update needed of php for nginx?

Discussion in 'Plesk Onyx for Linux' started by Dukemaster, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Dukemaster

Dukemaster Regular Pleskian

60%
    Hi,
    last days I looked closer to the setup environment of local MySQL-Server 5.6 (upgraded from default 5.5 with great help by this forum).
    Database works fine from my point of view, but it shows a "special" php-version 5.6.27 of nginx-server. That makes me absolutely wonder, because in my services and also service-packages there are only 5.5.9 by OS-vendor, 5.6.30 <-- !!!, 7.0.18 and 7.1.14 (updated 2days ago by Ubuntu+Plesk updates).
    My questions are simple, sorry for my less knowledge.
    Is everything alright with my setup?
    Do I need to update php 5.6.27 of nginx to simply .30 or better to upgrade to the highest as possible (7.0.18 / 7.1.14)?

Greets

php-1.jpgphp-2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. UFHH01

UFHH01 Plesk addicted! Staff Member

64%
    Best Answer
    Hi Dukemaster,

the "normal" way to list your current ( vendor ) PHP - version, is to login over SSH, using the command:

Code:
    /usr/bin/php -v

If this differs from the version shown over your Plesk Control Panel, than this is because YOU forgot to update your PHP - handler - informations. For Plesk - PHP - versions, this will be done automatically at each update/upgrade, but if you want the same for your vendor PHP version, YOU have to do that manually.

Pls. use the commands:

TO RE-READ the actual settings:
    Code:
    plesk bin php_handler --reread
    TO LIST the actual existent handlers:
    Code:
    plesk bin php_handler --list

Example to CHANGE an existing entry:
    Code:
    plesk bin php_handler --update \
     -id "cgi" \
     -displayname "X.X.X by OS vendor ( default )"
    ( where X.X.X should equal the output of your LIST - command for the corresponding PHP - handler. ;) )

Additional note:
    Your phpMyAdmin - runs over the very own Plesk webserver ( sw-cp-server ), which has got nothing to do with your installed nginx - version on your server. Updates/Upgrades for this webserver is only published by Plesk. The same goes for the very own Plesk-PHP - version for your Plesk Control Panel. "sw-engine" is the Plesk - PHP-FPM handler and updates/upgrades are only published by Plesk.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Servus and Dukemaster like this.
  3. IgorG

IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

64%
    Affiliate:
    https://plesk.com/?a_aid=59ae552b0731c
    I see phpmyadmin on your picture with the php version that surprises you.
    Phpmyadmin works under "Plesk admin's php" which is located as /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php
    It is internal Plesk php for Plesk interface and Plesk utilities operation. You shouldn't touch this php - otherwise, Plesk system will completely break down.

4. Dukemaster

60%
    Hi @UFHH01 and @IgorG thanks a lot for your kind help,
    I'm fully aware of the risks due to what you suggested, Igor. I'm not a player, I only try to make experiments when I've reinstalled server, because this is the only time to make experiments. If you fail then you destroy nothing important. But from the moment having running websites on server, immediately all playing comes to its end.

@UFHH01, could it possible that it was a little mistype in the second box?
    Code:
    plesk bin php_handler --list
    instead
    Code:
    plesk bin php_handler --reread
    Here the complete output of what you recommended me to do:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/php -v
    PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.21 (cli) (built: Feb  9 2017 20:54:58)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2014 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.5.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies
        with the ionCube PHP Loader (enabled) + Intrusion Protection from ioncube24.com (unconfigured) v5.0.18, Copyright (c) 2002-2015, by ionCube Ltd.
        with Zend OPcache v7.0.3, Copyright (c) 1999-2014, by Zend Technologies
    Code:
    ~# plesk bin php_handler --reread
    The information about PHP handlers was successfully updated.
    Code:
    :~# plesk bin php_handler --list
                      id:       display name:  full version:  version:    type:                         cgi-bin:                    php-cli:                        php.ini:  custom:  status:
                      cgi  5.5.9 by OS vendor          5.5.9       5.5      cgi                /usr/bin/php5-cgi               /usr/bin/php5           /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini    false disabled
                  fastcgi  5.5.9 by OS vendor          5.5.9       5.5  fastcgi                /usr/bin/php5-cgi               /usr/bin/php5           /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini    false  enabled
                      fpm  5.5.9 by OS vendor          5.5.9       5.5      fpm               /usr/sbin/php5-fpm               /usr/bin/php5           /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini    false  enabled
                   module  5.5.9 by OS vendor          5.5.9       5.5   module                /usr/bin/php5-cgi               /usr/bin/php5       /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini    false disabled
          plesk-php56-cgi              5.6.30         5.6.30       5.6      cgi   /opt/plesk/php/5.6/bin/php-cgi  /opt/plesk/php/5.6/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php.ini     true disabled
      plesk-php56-fastcgi              5.6.30         5.6.30       5.6  fastcgi   /opt/plesk/php/5.6/bin/php-cgi  /opt/plesk/php/5.6/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php.ini     true  enabled
          plesk-php56-fpm              5.6.30         5.6.30       5.6      fpm  /opt/plesk/php/5.6/sbin/php-fpm  /opt/plesk/php/5.6/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php.ini     true  enabled
          plesk-php70-cgi              7.0.18         7.0.18       7.0      cgi   /opt/plesk/php/7.0/bin/php-cgi  /opt/plesk/php/7.0/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/7.0/etc/php.ini     true disabled
      plesk-php70-fastcgi              7.0.18         7.0.18       7.0  fastcgi   /opt/plesk/php/7.0/bin/php-cgi  /opt/plesk/php/7.0/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/7.0/etc/php.ini     true  enabled
          plesk-php70-fpm              7.0.18         7.0.18       7.0      fpm  /opt/plesk/php/7.0/sbin/php-fpm  /opt/plesk/php/7.0/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/7.0/etc/php.ini     true  enabled
          plesk-php71-cgi               7.1.4          7.1.4       7.1      cgi   /opt/plesk/php/7.1/bin/php-cgi  /opt/plesk/php/7.1/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php.ini     true disabled
      plesk-php71-fastcgi               7.1.4          7.1.4       7.1  fastcgi   /opt/plesk/php/7.1/bin/php-cgi  /opt/plesk/php/7.1/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php.ini     true  enabled
          plesk-php71-fpm               7.1.4          7.1.4       7.1      fpm  /opt/plesk/php/7.1/sbin/php-fpm  /opt/plesk/php/7.1/bin/php  /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php.ini     true  enabled
    Do I have to activate the OS-vendor version for a better environment?
    Thanks for your amazing support and help! Step by step I fall in love with Plesk.

Greets

5. UFHH01

64%
    Hi Dukemaster,

corrected in my post... thank you for mentioning it.

No, some PHP - handler are deactivated by default by now, because of vulnerabilities, or because they are insecure. If you still insist to activate and to use them, pls. do it on your own risk. ;)

Dukemaster likes this.
  6. Dukemaster

60%
    So everything is okay and I can gratefully ignore the PHP 5.6.27 in MySQL overview (Webserver)?

Thanks a lot for the good advices also to @IgorG

Greets

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. UFHH01

64%
    Hi Dukemaster,

Well you might as well update/upgrade the PHP version for the Plesk Control Panel, but Plesk can't guarantee, that it will work afterwards and support is as well not possible, because the codes/pages/configurations/optimizations done for the Plesk Control Panel are written/coded for the installed version at "/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php" and not for any other PHP version. As @IgorG already mentioned very clearly:
    ;)