• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Urgent - mail service is turned off for one domain and I cannot switch it back on!

gregconway

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux release 8.8 (Sapphire Caracal)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.55.1
Morning all,

I woke up to one site suspended as they had exceeded disk space limits overnight.

I reactivated the site.

However, the mail srvice for all their users says "The mail service is switched off" and I cannot turn it back on! It says successful but the service has stayed off.

I've tried enabling it under the GUI and under the command line - neither work.

I've tried plesk repair mail - no effect.

I've rebooted the server and it's the same after that!

Any suggsetions anybody? A client is down and can't receive email!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Greg.

Hi @gregconway. You'll need to check all the access levels if they are all enabled, e.g. user, subscription, domain, mail server of that domain. Are they all enabled/active?

Morning all,

I woke up to one site suspended as they had exceeded disk space limits overnight.

I reactivated the site.

However, the mail srvice for all their users says "The mail service is switched off" and I cannot turn it back on! It says successful but the service has stayed off.

I've tried enabling it under the GUI and under the command line - neither work.

I've tried plesk repair mail - no effect.

I've rebooted the server and it's the same after that!

Any suggsetions anybody? A client is down and can't receive email!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Greg.

Hi @gregconway. You'll need to check all the access levels if they are all enabled, e.g. user, subscription, domain, mail server of that domain. Are they all enabled/active?

Attachments

• plesk1.PNG
    plesk1.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. The client and site are active at all levels.

This is the problem (see picture) - the mail service is set to "Disable incoming" and no amount of changing that in the GUI or command-line has had any affect.

I moved them to another server, which worked (amazingly, as the backup was from after the problem started!

Any ideas on how to re-enable the mail service here?!

Thanks,

Greg.

Attachments

• plesk270923-2.PNG
    plesk270923-2.PNG
    42.8 KB · Views: 5
Set the mail service to "not configured" (will delete all existing accounts!) and then enable it again - this usually works.
We encountered this very same problem as well on multiple servers in the past, so it seems like some bug that surfaces in certain situations, but I dunno why

Set the mail service to "not configured" (will delete all existing accounts!) and then enable it again - this usually works.
We encountered this very same problem as well on multiple servers in the past, so it seems like some bug that surfaces in certain situations, but I dunno why

Er.... thanks... but is there any way of fixing it without deleting all their mail accounts?!!!!

Thanks,

Greg.

don't know, we never had this requirement, as in our cases it was always a domain that was setup up with no email service (or it got disabled just after creating the subscription)

But you can create a backup with the builtin Plesk backup tool, either of the whole subcription or just the emails.
Once the mail service is up and running again, you can restore the accounts from that backup.

Thanks ChristophRo, appreciate the resolution.

But is there anybody here from Plesk who has any idea why this happens, and how to easily fix this without the backup/restore?

This is a subscription that's been running since 2007 without ever seeing this issue before!

Thanks,

Greg.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response. I tried to do that but it seems I cannot as my Plesk license is purchased via a reseller.

I guess I will have to ask them to look at this, so based on previous experience this problem will never be solved.

Thanks anyway.

Yes, I did see that, thanks, but Plesk licenses are expensive enough already without adding another 50% for support.

As I've moved it to another server site I will just delete the site on the old server.

Shame as this might have helped to iron out this problem for future releases, but never mind.

Thanks again.

Back