• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Use Plesk as SMTP server/relay without mail services enabled for domain

jdgregson

New Pleskian
Hello all,

We just migrated our web infrastructure from a server running cPanel to one running Plesk and are currently working through a few growing pains. One of them is that we previously were able to use the cPanel server as an SMTP server (for automated task notifications) while running our email system with Office 365. I got this working in Plesk by disabling the mail service for the domain, but unfortunately, this prevents external scripts and servers from sending through the Plesk SMTP server. When I try, I am told "Relay access denied". Enabling mail services on the domain allows this to work, but then delivery of emails to the domain are not sent through Office 365. Note that I am using a valid email address and password which are configured through Plesk, not open relaying.

Is there a way to allow remote sending through SMTP without having mail services enabled? -- or perhaps a way to have mail services enabled without trying to deliver locally?

Just a thought - what about creating a fake domain in Plesk and leaving mail enabled? You'll be able to SMTP authenticate with an email address on the fake domain.

Back