• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Why force Ads on us and our customers?

T

Traged1

Why is it that we do not have an option to hide the new "Buy Pictures" button in PLESK 8.1? This is completely ridiculas. I do not want my customers to see this button? Why are we forced to advertise your partnership with Fotolia? This button should be hidden with all the rest of the **** buttons like myPLESK and, buy certs and buy what ever. Do you not think that we have paid enough for this software already? Now we are forced to make you more of this new partnership? I for one am sickened by this lame attempt to force ads on our customers, if this option is not removed soon we will be migrating our 10+ Plesk licenses over to Ensim Pro or HELM. We left godaddy for the same reason, DO NOT FORCE YOUR ADS ON US OR OUR CUSTOMERS PLEASE!

Pls add a "Enable/Disable Advertising function.

Also, the "Backup" function does not work at all.

After a domain user clicks on the Backup icon it will ask them to choose the backup location etc, that's ok, but after I run the backup there should ba a confirmation screen saying, Backup complete or so. Also, after I try to restore all the data I just backed up, it will show no confirmation screen that files were restored, and of course they are not restored at all.

I simply did this: run the backup on my page then I deleted all files from my httpdocs directory and run the restore step, after it was "Restored" the httpdocs directory is still empty!!.\

So what is the deal about backing up and restoring?

sshigin,

What do you understand by "soon"? A few months? Until the next Plesk release?

Don't get me wrong, I understand your need to market your products as aggressive as you can, in order to compensate for other things they lack, but we need a resolution fast.

I can't speak for others, but personally, I am postponing all upgrades to Plesk 8.1 until this gets fixed, but in the mean time I am researching other Control Panels for Windows.

>> it will be fixed
>> in the nearest hotfix

Soon I hope! This is a really, really bad move by SWSoft.

What are you thinking of? (Well money obviously. But will you earn more by alienationg your users?)

I also HATE the "news" feature you force on domain users whereby you can plug yourselves shamelessly. I saw a post about how to remove it - but it looks very troublesome (a Perl hack into MySQL).

This is how I see it: I have chosen SWSoft to provide a critical tool for my business, I expect to pay for that (and I do). But what I am NOT going to provide you with is a free advertisng & marketing medium!

Originally posted by artm

This is how I see it: I have chosen SWSoft to provide a critical tool for my business, I expect to pay for that (and I do). But what I am NOT going to provide you with is a free advertisng & marketing medium!

I couldn't have said it better.

artm, the default page after created a fresh domain can be modified easly. No hacks needed.

Originally posted by henry
artm, the default page after created a fresh domain can be modified easly. No hacks needed.
"default page"? What are you referring to?

We are talking about the "Buy Pictures" button in PLESK 8.1 which is stuck on with glue. Also the "latest Plesk news" that appears on domain and email users' control panel and which plugs SWsoft stuff. e.g. 20% discount on Fotolia stock photos SWsoft has partnered with Fotolia, the first worldwide social marketplace for royalty free stock images...For a limited time, you can receive a 20% discount

Quite apart from not wanting to supply an advertising portal to my users, I also don't want the interface cluttered up with confusing and irrelevant items. It's not good for useabilty.

Originally posted by sshigin
Do not worry, we shall soon correct this misunderstanding

OK... so I installed your latest hotfix. I logged in to Plesk using my admin account, clicked 'Server' >> 'Interface Management' >> 'Interface Templates' >> 'Preferences' and I make sure 'Hide newsfeeds', 'Hide Virtuozzo promotion' and 'Hide Fotolia promotion' are enabled. I click 'OK' and I log out from the admin account.

One would think this is the end of the unwanted SWsoft ads, right?

When I login using a client account or the admin account again, I am still seeing the Virtuozzo banner on the top-right of the page, next to the 'Logout' button:
Discover Virtuozzo,
OS Server Virtualization

Did I miss anything when I tried to disable the adds? No! I double-checked and the settings look fine!

sshigin, would you like to comment on this, please?

Originally posted by Bogdan
Did I miss anything when I tried to disable the adds? No! I double-checked and the settings look fine!
sshigin, would you like to comment on this, please?
it is by design. no more comments.

Originally posted by artm
Well that's nice. What an attitude!

gentlemen, excuse me, is this a big problem?
really this is the temporary appearance and it will be removed later.

I will let you know how big of a problem it is...

We are and have been a customer of Helm. I am here because of the paid beta testing that is going on with their latest version. IN other words, I was looking for an alternative. Please note that I am not here to bash them... I AM a prospective customer (of yours) and a happy but patience is wearing thin customer(of theirs).

That said: "There is NO WAY that I would use your product even if given to me for FREE until the ads are not forced and that fact is confirmed by your existing customers".

Whomever in your marketing department thought of that little charade should be fired without prejudice in my opinion.

I hope that you govern yourself properly in this situation... until then... enough said!

Wow ! I downloaded Plesk 8.1 for purchasing and installing on a clean server, this ad stuff is no good, no good.

sshigin - I am trying hard to understand you here.

On the one hand bad-guy-sshigin says: "it is by design. no more comments."

That says to me: "We are doing this advertising stuff deliberately; it is our company policy; get over it - or do the other thing"

On the other hand good-guy-sshigin says: "this is the temporary appearance and it will be removed later"

Will the real sshigin please stand up!

Hi artm,

No sweat, who cares what sshigin says? I know it is confusing. I think we should not pay what we pay for software license and support to get advertising garbage stuffed in our throats. Users are overwhelmed enough with spam; commercials on TV.... and some times the lack of that annoying stuff is what make customers do business with us.

plesk 8.1.0 for windows will live with this ads yet.
it's necessary for marketing research.
after that it most probably will be removed.

of course, all your discontents have been taken into account now.

Back