• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

1and1 root server

Hello,

Just recently got a Root III server and slowly going thru Plesk learning all of its features, new to Plesk :).

I'm reading the 7.5 Reloaded Administrator's manual and I noticed a section on a Help Desk. In the online demo, on sw-soft.com, they show a Help Desk link above the Help link on the left side. I do not see this on my installation that was given to me from 1and1. Doees anyone else have the Help Desk or is this something seperate we must purchase?

Thanks!

Pagemakers,
Thanks! Didn't plan on purchasing it bu thought if it was supposed to be included then I'd give it a try.

As a new user to Plesk and 1and1 have any suggestions/tips on what I should do/watch out for?

Thanks again

I have 1and1 with the redhat. I upgraded when it first came out, lucky i only had the email problem with spamassassin, i removed my own copy and it worked fine.

I'm in the upgrade process right now. Man i'm so frustrated... :(
First of all my SSH Login isn't working no more. I never changed the pass to it .. so i can only imagine that 1&1 made a mistake there!

Then i have extrem problems configuring the subdomains. They just don't seem to work. When i add normal domains i have to restart the whole server so that the work.

I left all settings on default. I read a whole bunch of forum-threads now and i think it might be some problem with the DNS which i never ever touched! Neiter in 1&1 CP, nor in PLESK. That's total bs .. leaving everything on default should work just like the previous products have.. :roll:

Besides. I tried to reinit the server (after couple of hours stressing myself out with PLESK) and chose the configuration with SuSE 9.1 and Confixx 3.0. - It won't work. I couldn't even "finish" the form. It brought up an error saying something like "chose your software" - so from my pov PLESK looks like it can do much more than confixx but the most important stuff (setting up clients / domains / subdomains / ftp / etc) causes much more problems ....

just my 2cent.

I won't give up now.. but it really sucks!!

you should always change the ssh root password. And to add a domain you have to just restart apache or wait for it to restart on its own to take effect.

I set the apache restart time to 120 seconds now - was 900 by default. And yes, domains work, i mean subdomains ;) guess i wrote that too..

They ain't working the way they should. I create them, as i wrote, and the directorys are created by PLESK but i can't access them and when i enter the subdomain in my browser-adress-bar it always sends me to the default domain.

Besides - subdomain.domain.tld works but www.subdomain.domain.tld doesn't...

Most people who complain about 1&1 servers complain about issues that are really their responsibility to fix.

1&1 offers a server, serial console access and several ways that you as your own root server administrator can get in and fix problems.

Areas that 1&1 aren't too helpful in --

1) If you break it, you fix it. Or, you can reimage your drive -- thus returning your server to the state that they gave it to you in.

2) Cancelling domains / servers. It's not obvious, but you must go to http://cancel.1and1.com and then fill out forms and later send a fax to confirm cancellation.

--

1&1's servers are fast, affordable, their control panel is pretty useful, and they even send you a guide on running a root server.

To offer services this cheap, you have to cut money somewhere, so they cut it in customer support and are doing a great job of providing custom solutions (Serial Console, Recovery Console, Documentation, FAQs).

And if you have to call tech support... the people in the Phillipines will help you configure outlook ... and reimage your server =)

I signed up for a 1and1 root server a few months back and so far it's been working out great. I really like the speed and the amount of RAM that is provided with the package. Server loads are very low.

I see a lot of people complaining about 1and1's support. Basically if you have a root server you are responsible for any non hardware issues with the server. If you are not ready to take on this responsibility I would recommend that you opt for the fully managed server plan.

I have dealt with many providers in the past and my main gripe I had with others was the fact that I was dependent on them to restart the server if it was unavailable through normal SSH. 1and1 solved this problem with their Serial Console. I also like the fact that they provide free backup space on a seperate box.

Just my .02 cents on the 1and1 subject. ;)

Back