• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

A few questions about Plesk with HSP & Virtuozzo

S

sclinter

Hi there,

I'm just playing around with some trial versions of HSP & Plesk to try and work out how it works and how we can get out existing business to work with them.

I'm trying to work out what possible setups are available and whether I've understood everything right. I'm sure all the info is in the docs but there is so many docs to read through that I must've missed some of the info I'm looking for. Anyway, here are my questions...

1) Am I right in thinking that you cannot install HSP & Plesk on a single machine with no virtual servers?

2) Can Plesk & HSP be installed on a single machine within seperate virtual servers?

3) When install Plesk on a machine running Virtuozzo do you install a version of Plesk within each Virtual Server you want managed or just intall 1 version of Plesk for all virtual servers?

4) If the answer to question 3 was one version per virtual server does this mean you need to have a license for each plesk installation in each virtual server?

5) Within HSP I only see mentions of Plesk 7, does version 8 currently work with HSP or this going to come in an update?

Thankyou for your time.

I just bought HSP and Plesk and I can answer a few of your questions because I asked the same ones to the sales guy.

1) Am I right in thinking that you cannot install HSP & Plesk on a single machine with no virtual servers?
- I believe this is correct.

2) Can Plesk & HSP be installed on a single machine within seperate virtual servers?
- Yes
3) When install Plesk on a machine running Virtuozzo do you install a version of Plesk within each Virtual Server you want managed or just intall 1 version of Plesk for all virtual servers?
- I believe you have to install Plesk on each box. For instance, I plan to have a dual Xeon with Virtuozoo with 1 slice being plesk and the other slices being sold as virtual unix boxes.

4) If the answer to question 3 was one version per virtual server does this mean you need to have a license for each plesk installation in each virtual server?
- I'm assuming so. Although this is a great question. Is Plesk per server or per "virtual server".

5) Within HSP I only see mentions of Plesk 7, does version 8 currently work with HSP or this going to come in an update?
- It better work with 8 that is what I bought and I'm assuming the sales or techincal sales guy would have told me those two products don't work together.

I hope this helps. Wish I could provide more info to you.

Many thanks for your reply, I've also had a reponse from a sales guy and some of his answers are the same as yours while others are not.

1) same, this cannot be done

2) different, according the our man at plesk you have to have completely seperate bits of hardware for plesk & hsp, simple virtual server seperation wasn't enough, this was a real disappointment for us but you're reply has given us hope.

3 & 4) It appears from the email I got that you would need a seperate plesk installation for each virtual server you want to be managed by plesk. You also apparently need a seperate licence for each installation.

5) Apparently you are ok and hsp & plesk 8 work together fine.

Final thing...the guy at swsoft also told me that swsoft installing the software for us was mandatory, this seemed very bizzare to me since there are instructions all over the site on how you install it...was this the case with you?

Yes, we're set for Thursday for the install. I have installed it on a RedHat box but I had all sorts of problems. I plan to take detailed notes and ask lots of questions. Actually, since I'm spending all this money, I was actually happy to pay the install costs. I just hope they explain enough to me so I can do it myself if needed in the future.

If you want, I can come back Friday or this weekend and respond to this post explaining how things went.

If you are going to buy it to, maybe we can run ideas past each other in the future.

-Tom

Yes, sounds good, I'm just playing around with it now trying different configuration and trying to get it all running on 1 machine. I'm definately interested to hear how you get on. Thanks for all your help.

- Also Tom ;)

As said above, HSPc must be installed in its own clean server, this can be a physical server or a VPS. SWsoft recommend a Virtuozzo server as it can be backed up, and restored quickly before/after any updates if needed.

Plesk is licensed per physical server/VPS. Licenses for inside a VPS is cheaper I believe, you should contact sales for details if you havent yet.

If you ensure you are running to 3.2.2 and have it patched to build 54.14 it supports Plesk 8 fine for hosting and key provisioning.

Back