• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Ads & Banner in Plesk 8.4!

Can anyone say "Class Action"?

It goes like this. Google makes millions off of selling little pieces of web "ad" space all over the internet. They make so much in fact that a majority of their enterprise is funded off of it.

Web "Ad" space is a marketable commodity. It's a billion dollar market. So parallels is actually stealing "Ad" space by doing this. In fact by doing this they have easily gotten hundreds of thousands of free "Ad" space. They are stealing opportunity costs from us on our dime.

This doesn't even address the fact that my customers link over to their site and find hosting services like domain registration, SSL Certs, and virtual hosting or even other web hosting companies.

Parallels is stealing ad space that they should be paying us for as well as grifting my customers from me.

Again I ask, "Can you say Class Action?"

Class Actions on what bases? How are you going to prove the bases of a lost revenues?

Please don't get me wrong. I don't like what Parallels or SwSoft is doing or has done. I don't care about their lame excuses about the license agreements, etc. I'm paying them for the license, that should be enough.

A Class Action could simply be based on fair market price for the advertising they are stealing.

No need to even go into "lost revenue".

Say that they had to pay even $5/month for an Ad on each server they deploy to. With their customer base, that would not be worth their while.

My point is that they should not be getting a free meal ticket out of paying customers.

If they were to let us opt in to a "pay-per-click" affiliate program and remove the ads for those people who did not opt in, I'm sure the response would be overwhelming. They'd get just as much advertising and we'd get a kick-back. Right now I instead pay for hosting their ads. I pay for any customer who finds someone else through them and I pay for every five minutes of time that one of my technicians that has to answer "what is parallels" or "I thought I was hosting with you guys".

I'm no lawyer but there is a class action in here somewhere. I can smell it. Even if it is not super solid. There should be enough here to at least scare them into ripping the ads off of our servers.

Didn't they learn their lesson the first time they tried this. They did it. Within a week it was taken out of the software because there were too many users pissed off.

Until they respect me as a customer and not a means of advertising I am working on moving away from Plesk. Even if they did attempt to buy up all the competition, there are many other... cheaper means of doing the same thing.

What's the point of a class action lawsuit? Just stop using Plesk if it's that big of a deal.

Question from the non-americans here

you know that part of the world that isnt used to have 3 lawyers watching every click you do.

Whats a class action lawsuit ????????

Like the man sayd: stop using plesk, or if you have 20+ servers .... hire some indiers, malaisians, ... whatever and have your own programmed for about $3000.

regards
Jan

I am not sure I am following what the problem is. This is a simple update if you know css. Took me a matter of 3 min to find and change.

If you create your own template open \css\top\custom.css or on the fileserver with root access go to /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/skins/YOURSKIN/css/top where YOURSKIN = the default skin you are using and change "withTopRightLogo" "#topRightLogo" "#topTxtBanner" to be as follows:

.withTopRightLogo {margin-right: 0px;}
#topRightLogo {visibility: hidden; position: absolute;}
#topTxtBanner {visibility: hidden;position: absolute;}

Since they built this all using css and divs I think it would be safe to say that they are not forcing you to use keep that so should be all good.

Back