• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input AlmaLinux ... it works!

Pleskie

Regular Pleskian
End of last year I was very disappointed to hear that CentOS 8 would be discontinued end of 2021 instead of the promised 2029. Like some others out here I had put a lot of effort in configuring a nice server setup based on CentOS 8.

Luckily a few months later there is a fine replacement:

AlmaLinux

Yes ladies and gentlemen. We no longer have to worry. AlmaLinux is free, will always be free and will be supported until at least 2029. This information is published on their website.

The greatest news is ... it is already out there!

This week I installed a CentOS 8 image on my VPS. I changed the OS to AlmaLinux and installed Plesk Obsidian. And yes ... it works. So far everything seems to be working just fine.

So for all of you out there looking for a replacement for CentOS 8? It is already here ... you don't have to wait anymore.

I like to give back to this great Plesk-community. If you want to install AlmaLinux as well, please reply to this thread. If there is enough animo I will place the instructions on how to install it the correct way.

I'm interested in AlmaLinux too. I haven't try this myself yet. I believe this will be a good alternative for the CentOS 8.

Their website says "As a standalone, completely free OS, AlmaLinux OS enjoys $1M in annual sponsorship from CloudLinux Inc and support from other sponsors. Ongoing development efforts are governed by the members of the community. "

1M is bit of money. I have decided to wait and see if there is any catch in this for CloudLinux.

I'm interested in AlmaLinux too. I haven't try this myself yet. I believe this will be a good alternative for the CentOS 8.

Their website says "As a standalone, completely free OS, AlmaLinux OS enjoys $1M in annual sponsorship from CloudLinux Inc and support from other sponsors. Ongoing development efforts are governed by the members of the community. "

1M is bit of money. I have decided to wait and see if there is any catch in this for CloudLinux.

Yes, it is a good alternative with very much potential.

You can read on their website that AlmaLinux is a free OS and will always be free. They will offer support until at least 2029. They have financial backup of CloudLinux which is their commercial version of the OS.

They have proven to be capable of delivering a working product in a very short period of time. I am very happy with AlmaLinux and thankful to the people behind it who are willing to help the community forward by providing a solid, stable and free alternative for CentOS.

CentOS was a free RedHat open source version with absolute no connection to the upstream provider .... until they joined RedHat (don't know if RedHat bought it)
CentOS was the free open source version of RedHat and even supported by RedHat ... until IBM bought RedHat

What is now can be very different in a few years. CentOS is the living proof of that. It is very well possible someone will buy CloudLinux in a few years and then things can change again.

I am also testing with Alma linux, but don't always believe what is on websites.

I am also interested in Rocky Linux and hope Plesk will support that also. This is from the makers of the original Centos, They have a proven trackrecord that they can create and support an OS without the backing of a major company. I hope Rocky Linux will be like CentOS was at the start and truly "community driven" like CentOS was at the start and not "a company sideprodukt", like CentOS became and Alma Linux is.

just my 2 cents.

Regards
Jan

@Linulex

I get what you are saying. I do believe though that the people behind AlmaLinux have the right intentions. They have also proven they can do it, because they already have delivered a working product to the community. They took their mission seriously and acted a) fast and b) good. So I am certainly going to give them a chance and I hope they will stick to their promise. I have a good feeling about it.

@Linulex

I get what you are saying. I do believe though that the people behind AlmaLinux have the right intentions. They have also proven they can do it, because they already have delivered a working product to the community. They took their mission seriously and acted a) fast and b) good. So I am certainly going to give them a chance and I hope they will stick to their promise. I have a good feeling about it.

So did everyone back in the day with Red Hat.

To clarify, as @Linulex pointed out upthread, AlmaLinux is a repeat in that it is supported by a commercial entity that could change direction for business reasons, as evidence by Red Hat's decision. Whether that will result in the same outcome if/when/ever, is anyone's guess. There is a saying "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

Rocky is supported by the core community group that originally was CentOS so one could argue rightly or wrongly that it has a better chance of not being subject to the whims of commercial interests.

The CentOS fiasco has given rise to a plethora of competing forks so hopefully instead of working against each other, the various groups might find a way to better further a common cause. On the other hand, it's a bit of a gladiator RHEL match and while the contenders are Alma and Rocky, who is to say which will be left standing after the dust settles.

@pleskpanel

Thanks for your clarification. I understand now what you mean. Well, Rocky Linux is not available yet and AlmaLinux is. So I am using it, hoping for the best. As I said, I've got a good feeling about this. They are very clear in their promise to offer a free product with support until at least 2029. The fact they are backed up by a commercial company (CloudLinux) does not have to be a bad thing. They have a lot of knowledge and if they would not keep their promise it could harm the company and have a negative impact on their commercial results. The other way round is also true. If my business grows and I need more server support, I would certainly consider CloudLinux because they have already been offering me a free product.

SH7MffDj3X.png

Still not fully supported. (Fresh Install)(1-June)

>> Still not fully supported. (Fresh Install)(1-June)

I first installed a CentOS 8 image. Then used the AlmaLinux tool to migrate, then installed Plesk. No problem at all.

Reactions: Hex
perl-Digest-SHA1 is part of the powertools. You need to activate that repositry

Code:
yum-config-manager --enable powertools

Or enable it manualy in /ec/yum.repos.d

Reactions: Hex
I first installed a CentOS 8 image. Then used the AlmaLinux tool to migrate, then installed Plesk
I did both methods, same issue. but worth trying.

perl-Digest-SHA1 is part of the powertools. You need to activate that repositry

Code:
yum-config-manager --enable powertools

Or enable it manualy in /ec/yum.repos.d

That worked, but with small command modifications:

Bash:
yum config-manager --set-enabled powertools

voAgbo7ZGX.png

Thanks @Linulex for the quick tip.

View attachment 18884

Still not fully supported. (Fresh Install)(1-June)
Interesting ... I am still testing some things and had to do a reinstall. This time I got the exact same issue as in your image. Apparently something changed in the Plesk-installer between a couple of weeks ago and this moment. Luckily, thanks to your post, I knew now how to solve it ;-)

Back