• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup to FTP crashes Plesk, sometimes

pstretch

New Pleskian
I've been having a problem for some time now. I originally posted to the Plesk for Linux 8.2 forum (http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?t=49779) but I've now upgrded to 8.3 and done some more investigation, so I thought I start a new post in the hope that someone may be able to help me. My hosting provider (Webfusion) has been unable to provide any help after 3 months.

The problem is that once the FTP account details are entered into the FTP Account Properties the Backup option is no longer accessible at all i.e. selecting the 'Backup' icon causes either 'Service Unavailable' error or the Client to be logged out of Plesk.

From help offered in my original forum post, I established that running query 'delete from BackupsSettings' on database PSA in MySQL allows the user to re-access the Backup function. The problem reappears if the FTP settings are re-entered.

The problem relates to creating backups using FTP repository at either the admin and client level. Once the problem occurs, selecting the 'Backup' icon at client level causes the user to be logged out and at admin level causes the user to get the 'service unavailable' error message.

I have now tried the FTP backup with 3 different FTP servers.

One server (my own, hosted locally) causes Plesk to fail immediately and to lock out the user with an error message when trying to access the backup function.

A second FTP server (hosted by a friend's business) causes Plesk to hang for many minutes and to intermittently crash. It sometimes manages to create a backup, sometimes not. Either way, the Plesk control panel becomes very unstable and the output is unreliable so this is effectively no good.

A third FTP server, located on another Webfusion server, works perfectly with out error or problem.

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Regards

Paul

I found this post http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?t=45995

Could my problem relate to firewall ports?

My own FTP server sits behind a NAT router with only a handful of ports open for Passive Mode FTP data connections. The FTP server that is part of my hosting company's network presumably sits inside the same network as our web server so it may have the ability to use any FTP ports it wants.

Does this sound plausible or not? Does anyone know how to control the port range used by Plesk's FTP client?

I guess I could test the theory by temporarily opening up all the ports on my router for FTP. Not much of a long term solution though.

Paul

what plesk build do you have?

could you post here exact error that you have?

as for ftp port, usually 20 and 21 port are used as passive and active modes.

I would recommend you to search over google for how it works.

I truly cannot provide you with information how Plesk use ftp for backing up. I do not know it;)

but it some reply sent from ftp server, or smth, it may have sense

Back