• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Did your upgrade to plesk 8 go successfully?

R

rvdmeer

Hi there,

Just to get a good summary regarding upgrading to plesk 8 my question to all of you is; did your upgrade to plesk go successfully.

And if so i guess that the people who are not upgrading yet would like to know what kind of OS you are running.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards,

Upgrade went well, from 7.5.4. Actually I installed 7.5 on the new server this morning as I never expected 8.0 to be released today.

Details:

CentOS 4.3 (RHEL4 Clone)
PHP 4.3.11
Quad Opteron

Upgrade went horribly awry on my system. Failed the first time I ran it... then supposedly succeeded the second time.

Logging into the control panel gave me license errors. Got the license upated, and now I'm stick with 7.5.4 AND 8.0.0 apparently both living on my system. I can't access 8.0.0, but at least 7.5.4 is working, and has the new Desktop feature.

I'm running CentOS 3.4 masqerading as RedHat EL3
PHP 4.4.2
Dual Xenon 1.8Ghz

I'm completely stuck, my upgrade to 8 failed, tried it again and it failed after removing a whole bunch of packages from 7.5.4. Now neither are working on my system and when i try reinstall 7.5.4 it tells me there are unmet dependancies.

I am almost at witts end......

Plesk is unable to update your product license.

Server response: Software Update Service (SUS) is not found for the given license key. Automatic upgrade is not possible

Continuing with the upgrade without having an appropriate product license will result in the installation of a default license with limited functionality. Administrators are advised to first acquire the appropriate license before continuing with the product upgrade.

Originally posted by ZeroSixty
To be honest.......I am a businessman and haven't a clue about upgrading servers! I pay someone to do all this stuff for me and I recommend my team to anyone. You may think you can't afford this level of server admin but boy.......I'd be lost without them! (and it's affordable) PM me for more info. This isn't a paid advertisement, just a VERY satisfied customer! Minor or major problem.......they fix it all.

HAH.

And here I'm the one that would love to work for more people and make more money for myself!

Please remember to detail some of the problems you are having and also the flavour of Linux because without this information anything that is posted here will be relatively useless.

With all the problems I am seeing here, I guess I'd better stick to 7.5.4 lol...
Although v8 looks good, I'd rather have stability than loose money.

Plesk 7.5.4 with all latest updates on a Debian 3.1 system.
The upgrade to 8.0 failed due to dependency problems with apt. apt-get -f install suggeste d me to remove a list of packages including psa to fix those dependency problems, but I didn't like that idea at all... so i managed to roll back to 7.5.4 and i will wait until 8.0.1 is out i guess :p
hal

Upgrade to Plesk 8.0.0 from 7.5.4 (with latest hotfix) went, for the most part, with no hitches. Upgraded on my Test Server to prevent any damage to customer data. Seems to not be giving me any problems at this point, but it's only been 8 hours. Did my install through ssh (I hate the updater, it always takes ages on my test server).

Server Stats..

Amd Athlon XP 2100+ (1.733ghz), 256mb ram, multi-nic (not a gateway system, just has more than one nic). Currently running Fedora Core 2 with kernel 2.6.10.

Had already updated php to 4.3.10, along with a handful of php modules. Already updated to MySQL 4.1.15, along with the dependances associated with it. Didn't have any problems with MySQL or Php incompatabilities.. I read about safe_mode prior to the installation. It's a "test" server, so nothing important is on it, and definately nothing requiring safe mode off.

Only thing that got me was that the IP, which is dynamic (as it's not production, just a local test box) had changed from the IP stored for the dns. I had to wait for the DNS to fully update (took 30 minutes, pos! I'll be fixing that REAL soon) before I could manage the psa-8.0.0 rpm installation. Everything else went fine, once I got the dependancies lined up..

I havent upgraded yet, because my provider is not yet offering keys for Plesk 8, I will wait until they offer them to upgrade.

The upgrade failed and corrupted the PLESK database. My host provider did a full install of 8.0 but all the configuration data in the 7.5.4 database is lost. I will have to reconfigure everything. qmail isn't working. There is some problem with DrWeb. It spawns hundreds of qmail-inject requests that eventually consumes all the memory and the server stops responding. I can't even do a remote reboot so I'm making very little progress in getting this straightened out. This upgrade is one of the dumbest things I've done in a long time.

Garry

Check your /var/lib/psa/dumps for backups of your psa database

That's where I found mine (thank god) and was able to drop it back in on top of the 8.0.0 PSA database.

I have a backup copy of the 7.5.4 database. I have a script that makes a backup of all the databases every night. Will 8.0 still work if you drop the 7.5.4 database tables on top of it?

No, you'll likely get errors.

I had to do it so that I could start the Plesk 8.0.0 upgrade process again, since the install freaks out if it finds an 8.0.0 database already there.

maybe not a likely suggestion, but why dont you force a rollback to 7.5.4 restore the database, "perform a full backup" and then try t he upgrade again?

it is said that the new backup restore functions, can restore from old versions of plesk, if that is correct, then you shouldnt have a problem if having a full backup of 7.5.4 then do a full install of 8 and restore the backup.

Worked well on a brand new installed 7.5.4 on a FC 3 installation. The upgrade to 8.0.0 was almost flawless. Then again, starting with an almost-empty database helps!

The only issue afterwards was to upgrade the old packages using yum and ART's RPMs (to more recent versions of almost everything ART has). Since ART does not yet support the brand-new 8.0.0, I was curious to see how bad this would damage a fresh installation of 8.0.0.

This shocked me for a bit when I got an error that "srv_bandwidth" did have the wrong default value. Fortunately, looking at a dump of the tables, I saw this was to the line on module_bf1942_servers that creates this column using as default ''; changing it to 0 made everything work well.

PEAR seemed to be a bit confused, though; after copying the Console and Archive folders from /usr/share/psa-horde/pear/ to /usr/share/pear, at least I could use PEAR to upgrade itself :) After that, it seemed to work fine...

Now the final task to be done: upgrading PHP to 5.0.4 (apparently supported by ART). This will be a challenge...

However, all the issues I got were not related to the 8.0.0 upgrade at all, but to further upgrades using yum and ART's RPMs, which are not designed for 8.0.0 anyway. Still, they work! Caveat utilitor

Successfully upgraded 3 CentOS4/Plesk 7.5.4 boxes with very little problem. The main dependency problems I ran into were selinux-policy-target and php-domxml. Once I installed them using up2date all went well.

Be sure to re-install Zend as the php.ini file is written over.

Originally posted by JLChafardet
I havent upgraded yet, because my provider is not yet offering keys for Plesk 8, I will wait until they offer them to upgrade.

And i would be happy. Upgrading on a first release on a production server is not something you should do.

Back