• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Lets Encrypt with No Web Hosting?

G J Piper

Regular Pleskian
I have a Plesk Onyx server that I use as an email server for a bunch of domains. None of them have web hosting enabled, but their webmail (roundcube) functions nicely. All the domains are entered as root (non-sub) domains so their email addresses will all be correct.

I also have another Plesk Onyx server that hosts all the websites for the above domains. On this server, mail is not even enabled for the domains. On this web server, I have Lets Encrypt set up and working great.

I have external DNS (Godaddy) configured to point mail.domains.tld and webmail.domains.tld to the email server, and domains.tld and www.domains.tld to the web server. The Plesk servers each "act as secondary name servers" and they run great.

My question is this: How can I enable Lets Encrypt on the mail server for all the domains, so my customers can have their webmail.domains.tld secured properly? Lets Encrypt won't seem to work unless there is a website added, and if I add a dummy website to each domain on the mail server, Lets Encrypt won't install a cert for the domain because it is already active on a different server (the web server). It is complicated, but is there a way?

Hello !

There is one ( with some work ) option, I know :

On the server for your websites, create a new domain with the title of the webmail domain for everyone.
Now get a cert for this with Let's Encrypt.
Go to area, there you can find the certs, open each for displaying it ( the text (ASCII) ).
Copy the "texted" certs to the main domains on the mailserver ... ;)

For some domains this will be ok, but not for many ... :D

I think, you must do that every 3 months again ?! :eek:

Hope, it works ... :)

Bye, Martin

For some domains this will be ok, but not for many ... :D
I think, you must do that every 3 months again ?! :eek:
Hope, it works ... :) Bye, Martin

Yeah... and I have, many. This will not work unless the certificate copying from one server to the other is somehow automated.

Actually, since the "webmail.domains.tld" is hosted behind-the-scenes for the servers, without user configuration, I think Plesk would have to automatically support it with just a universal setting that could be set.

Last edited:
Back