• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Backups downloaded with .tzst file

Hi
I have a backup file (tar) with all my websites in local computer. I just want to restone one website. So i extract the main file and make a tar archive (with 7-zip file manaer) of the wanted website files. When i upload the archive, plesk can't reconize it as a valid file.
How to fix this issue?
Thanks

Plesk has a specific way with how it's formatted it's archives for the backups so that's why it's saying it's not a valid plesk backup.

What you SHOULD do is take the original backup file along with any incremental files (if restoring from an incremental file) and start the restore there. Plesk will ask you what domain you want to restore from and what to restore. You should NEVER edit the archived file yourself.

It cannot work, because the Plesk archives contain additional meta information that is needed by the backup manager. You cannot just zip or tar a file and upload that into backup manager.

Instead as you already have the data, you can upload your zip or tar into your web directory and expand it there from the Linux command line.

Edit: @scsa20 beat me by 3 seconds on this answer ;-)

Hello,
In the last days every backup I downloaded im receiving a big tar files with files .tzst I dont know why, but I cant open a backup in my local server its not recognize the tzst,
What should I do ?

thank you and have a good day!
Download Peazip which can extract tzst files.

Plesk has a specific way with how it's formatted it's archives for the backups so that's why it's saying it's not a valid plesk backup.

What you SHOULD do is take the original backup file along with any incremental files (if restoring from an incremental file) and start the restore there. Plesk will ask you what domain you want to restore from and what to restore. You should NEVER edit the archived file yourself.
the issue is that plesk backup file contain 5gb and plesk didn t let me upload more than 2gb

It cannot work, because the Plesk archives contain additional meta information that is needed by the backup manager. You cannot just zip or tar a file and upload that into backup manager.

Instead as you already have the data, you can upload your zip or tar into your web directory and expand it there from the Linux command line.

Edit: @scsa20 beat me by 3 seconds on this answer ;-)
how to do it? i m not an expert in commande line

the issue is that plesk backup file contain 5gb and plesk didn t let me upload more than 2gb
Could always use a FTP client instead of through the web interface...
how to do it? i m not an expert in commande line
If you only need the data and you have it zipped, you can drop it into the web directory, then, assuming you using the web based file manager for the site, you can select the file and go to archive > extract, otherwise in CLI you will use one of this command:

If zip file: unzip file.zip
If normal TAR file: tar -xvf file.tar
If TAR.GZ file: tar -xvf file.tar.gz

You can see more examples at: How To Untar Files In Linux? – LinuxTect

Hi, I have a problem.
I messed up my Plesk installation so I could not access Plesk anymore.

I downloaded the /dumps/ folder to my local computer. Now I have a fresh Plesk installation on the same server and I need to restore the dumps. How can I proceed? The files I have are .tzst, .xml, .gz and I have a folder with the websites list... SHould I upload it to the server under /dump/ ?
I could not download the ZIP backup since the Plesk installation was no longer accessible.

You can try to replace the new /dumps folder with your copy. Chances are that backup manager will display the local backups sets afterwards, because it reads them from the meta files and not from the database.

Windows 10 - 11. What you need to do is:

1) Download zstd (who thought of that name???) Releases · libarchive/libarchive

2) Place zstd.exe from archive above inside the same directory where your .tzst - tzstxxx files are

3) Open a command prompt of windows and cd to that directory

4) Run tar -xvf backup_xxxxxx_xxxxxx.tzst

Thats it, your files will exctract at the same directory

Windows 10 - 11. What you need to do is:

1) Download zstd (who thought of that name???) Releases · libarchive/libarchive

2) Place zstd.exe from archive above inside the same directory where your .tzst - tzstxxx files are

3) Open a command prompt of windows and cd to that directory

4) Run tar -xvf backup_xxxxxx_xxxxxx.tzst

Thats it, your files will exctract at the same directory
Forgot the most important thing but the forum wont let me edit my answer.

You need first to merge the files if you have more than one. To do this you need to run first:
copy /b/y backup_xxxxxx_xxxxxx.tzst + backup_xxxxxx_xxxxxx.tzst1 + backup_xxxxxx_xxxxxx.tzst2 + backup_xxxxxx_xxxxxx.tzstxxx finalbackupfile.tzst

Back