• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Restoring server backups - what a crock...

Robert S Tucker

New Pleskian
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - So, latest Plesk, took a server backup, downloaded to my desktop (Windows 10).
First the file loses the .tgz filextension - but I knew about that. File was 3.5gb in size.
Rebuilt my Linode node, reinstalled Plesk using the one click deal..
Changed the max upload file size to 10GB through the interface - great!
Tried uploaded the backup file to restore - fail ERR_CONNECTION-RESET - ???? -couldn't get it to work, increased execution time etc - all to no avail
Uploaded backup file using FTP to home directory
Renamed it *.tgz
Tried a full server restore - I wanted everything...

root@ws:/home/user# plesk bin pleskrestore --restore "backup_info_1710151350.xml.tar" -backup-password "XXX"

Fails:
-su: XXX: event not found

Tried then without the option:

root@ws:/home/user# plesk bin pleskrestore --restore "backup_info_1710151350.xml.tar.tgz"

Fails:
One of the following options is required: -level, -only-mailnames, -only-maillists, -only-databases, -only-web-conte
exit status 1

So I add the -level option. Now I want the whole server restored here. I don't want just mailnames, maillists, databases. So I choose SERVER:

root@ws:/home/user# plesk bin pleskrestore --restore "backup_info_1710151350.xml.tar.tgz" -level server

<drums fingers for a while..>

Fails:
<?xml version="1.0" encodgin="UTF-8"?>
<restore status="warnings">
<conflict-resolve status="success">
</conflict-resolve>
<deploy status="warnings">
<object type="Restore server" name="">
<object type="Restore reseller plan" name="Default Reseller">
<message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" serverity="warning" id="f17703d3-7e96-45c2-888a-5e41ff60aec4">
<description encoding="">
Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/reseller_template.php --update Default\ Reseller -guid d9622e63-5342-3a15-6177-290d2d5ca78e -ignore-nonexistent-options failed with return code 1.
stderr is
You cannot manage resellers due to license restrictions.
</description>
</message>
</object>
</object>
</deploy>
</restore>

Well thanks for nothing! I know I am not a reseller and I didn't ask to restore on that basis???

So I try and restore only domains?

root@ws:/home/user# plesk bin pleskrestore --restore "backup_info_1710151350.xml.tar.tgz" -level domains

Fails with no error. No Domains listed. Nothing appears restored except all my vhosts domains directories have actually magically re-appears (did this after the first failure!)

So support - what is my next move given I need to restore all my websites from my full server backup????

UPDATE: While your list of domains remains empty, create a new dummy domain. Voila! All you restored domains magically re-appear. and they appear to work??? So seems some more info needed on the restore instructions perhaps??

UPDATE2: All domains there and working, but all storage listed as 0? Will this come back?

Back