• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Scheduled Tasks / CRONs - Wrong Timezone Compounding Issue?

mauricekindermann

New Pleskian
I have a very strange issue.

After using the Plesk Migrator last year, I successfully re-launched on a new server.

My only problem is my CRONs now run late. My system timezone is Australia/Brisbane, which is +10 GMT.

I've updated it via SSH, the System Time option, I've set the time to be manual, I've checked the Scheduled Tasks use the correct timezone, everything you can imagine. I've even had a few sysadmins try without success.

The weirdest part is my CRONs are running +10 hours late, which can't be coinsidence.

My current best guess is somehow the Plesk Migrator pegged our systemtime at +10, and then the timezone +10 is being added ontop of that.

So I even tried setting our system time to GMT 0, which is not ideal, but it didn't work in either case.

I've checked all the cron logs I was able to find, but none of them have any useful data that can be used to debug.

I can't figure out what is causing the issue. My actual sites appear unaffected, PHP shows the correct time and timezone, and there have been no time-realted issues.
So it's ONLY my CRON jobs.

Is there any kind of system-time flush I can do? Or does anyone have any idea how I can debug the problem?

To be clear, here is a list of steps I've taken (it won't let me edit my original post)
  1. update system time via SSH
  2. update system time through Tools & Settings > System Time
  3. manually set the system time
  4. updated Scheduled Tasks to use the correct timezonew
  5. set system time to GMT 00:00, and re-test CRONs
  6. checked CRON logs to see if there was anything useful or interesting
  7. checked CRON spools, which all appear to be correct
  8. I've run the Plesk Installation > Repair feature
  9. I've also had a few sysadmins try without success

LOL - that did it, thanks Peter, didn't find that command in all my searching yesterday, even ChatGPT didn't suggest it. I'm glad that chapter is over :D

Back