• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Upgrade postgres

In fact, these are completely different database servers for different purposes. It is difficult to compare them.
Moreover, their use depends on your webapplications. One application is created to work with MariaDB/MySQL, and the other with PostgreSQL.
Also make sure that you have enabled "PostgreSQL database server support" in your license.

It is not Plesk package. You can do it with usual OS methods like yum package manager.

Should i do an upgrade of the Plesk version or remove it in Plesk and then install 9.5?

I still what to be able to ad db's for customers in Plesk GUI.

You should just find an appropriate repository with PostgreSQL 9.5 for your OS and use OS package manager (yum or apt-get) for install/update your PostgreSQL server.

I read that the Plesk GUI PostgreSQL installer installes the version that is in the repo. Could someone tell me how to make Plesk GUI PostgreSQL installer install version 9.5?

I don't what to do anything in the terminal, i just broke the whole Plesk install and i had to start all over again.

Please, try to understand me. Once again. I have Plesk 17.5.3 version on CentOS7:

# plesk version
Product version: Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 Update #39
Update date: 2018/01/31 05:29
Build date: 2017/03/17 16:00
OS version: CentOS 7.2.1511
Revision: 55d1b49a272f44666e1920eca8b6e4da449a38cd
Architecture: 64-bit
Wrapper version: 1.2

I have installed PostgreSQL through Plesk installer:

Screenshot at Jan 31 15-10-18.png

I see that this is package not from Plesk, but from CentOS OS vendor's repository:

# rpm -qi postgresql
Name : postgresql
Version : 9.2.23
Release : 3.el7_4
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Wed 31 Jan 2018 05:19:10 AM NOVT
Group : Applications/Databases
Size : 16694158
License : PostgreSQL
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Sat 09 Dec 2017 01:14:31 AM NOVT, Key ID 24c6a8a7f4a80eb5
Source RPM : postgresql-9.2.23-3.el7_4.src.rpm
Build Date : Fri 08 Dec 2017 10:53:17 PM NOVT
Build Host : c1bm.rdu2.centos.org
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager : CentOS BuildSystem <My View - CentOS Bug Tracker>
Vendor : CentOS

URL : PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database
Summary : PostgreSQL client programs

So, if you need PostgreSQL server 9.5 version - you need to find any third-party CentOS7 repository where this version exists, add and enable this repository for your server and install/upgrade PostgreSQL 9.5 from this third-party repository. After that go to Tools&Settings -> Server Components and click Refresh button. After that check that version of PostgreSQL on your server listed as 9.5 and start to use it.

Ok, i thought as it says Plesk supports 8.4 - 9.5 i would be possible to chose version when i install.

Wont i get problems with both 9.2.23 and 9.5 installed like conflicts?

I would be great to be able to install 9.6 only. Is it possible to ad the 9.5 Source RPM to Plesk so i get 9.5 upon first install or do i have to install 9.2.23 first and then ad another version?

Once again. Plesk doesn't ship PostgreSQL, it only downloads it from original OS vendor repo and it is quite likely it may be outdated there (especially for older OS). If your OS comes with PostgreSQL 9.5 or 9.6, then Plesk would run this version for clients.

@IgorG, what would happen if I installed a newer version that the ones currently supported by Plesk? As far as I can see, Plesk does not use PostgreSQL for any of it's own data, so is the worst that would happen is that the connection info in the database overview would be wrong?
I can only assume that installing an unsupported PostgreSQL version will break the correct operation of the Plesk and PostgreSQL integration.
Regardless, on its own, PostgreSQL will most likely work fine. But not in the context of Plesk.

Back