• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CentOS 8 support

Don't worry guys , you'll be able to use CentOS8 at your own risk soon. don't push, it's not a critical bug or urgent feature.
There are a lot of moving parts around OS, as you may know, every service has its own version and Plesk is internally complex enough to put all that together and support every bit of it.

I don't really understand, some of you provide support to their customers and unable to figure that out.

Let them pick the right time to support CentOS8 as soon as they see fit. We need quality support, not a rushy support full of bugs.

hello

certainly agree with you but everyone is curious l :)

Select the products to install and their versions
===============================================================================

Installation will not continue because your operating system
"'CentOS' 'Linux' '8.0.1905' 'x86_64'" is not supported.

Refer to Plesk release notes for the complete list
of supported operating systems.

Available actions:
(F) Go forward
(B) Go back
(Q) Cancel installation
(S) Show advanced settings

Select an action or a number [b/q]:

No product version was selected.
(press Enter to continue)

Ah okay. Seems like the only viable option Q but F and S, imply there are alternatives. Hopefully there'll be some movement on this in the next few weeks. You had me hoping for a minute lol.

If you recall, @IgorG
I'm really disappointed to see a certain kind of replies above.Or what are you thinking when posting such things, if anything?

Since my reply is inside the "certain kind of replies above" i thought i might answer to this.

Do some of you think that Plesk doesn't want to release CentOS 8 support as soon as possible?

No i don't, i also don't think that (most) of the others here do.

What @Anthony said last was: "New ETA: there is a small chance that Centos 8 will be supported in the next Plesk build (will be delivered in December, 17th). And big chances for January." ETA means "estimated time of arrival". Estimated. There were no deadlines published. Now I'm afraid this was a good experience for @Anthony that, if anything, will tell him not to repeat such a mistake and give out any specific estimates ever again.

As you said it was an ETA (Estimated)...those can always change and you should not be afraid of giving an ETA you should also not be afraid to move the ETA to another date, this is absolutley fine. No one will be and no one was angry or anything for that (as far as i have read the posts above .... except for this: "
and in your country the deadlines are shifting always." ... which is kinda passive aggressive (personal opinion)).

BTW, we are waiting for CentOS 8 support too, very eagerly. But at the same time I can understand what it takes and that it will be ready when it's ready. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Nothing is "so hard to grasp"? Nobody said cruse words (as far as i can tell maybe there are deleted posts). Nobody says that you are bad now or is angry at you or stuff like that...how comes you think it is hard to grasp?

For once and all: The reason i ask (and i am pretty sure most of the people here have the same reason): EXCITEMENT!
I absolutley love Plesk and as Developer myself i can imagine how much work it is and what it takes - also considering the low price - the dev team makes an excellent job and plesk is just great and reliable. That's why I asked....i just cant wait to try it out. I do not care if it is January or July when you release, i ask for a date because as soon as it releases i want to be one of the first to try out. Even if it is "just" (Please note the "") an OS update and nothing in the Frontend changes, when i love a product i want to be one of the first to try updates.
Some people do the same with iPhones (Camping in front of the store), some with Consoles, some with Comics or whatever i do it with software.

To finish my long post: Everything above are just my 2 cents, if something seems unfriendly or attacking to someone please take my word it is not meant to do so. Even if my words above sometimes generalized (e.g. "Nobody", "No one", etc.. ), the above also may apply just for me and the generalization may not have been correct. It was just my thoughts. If my excitment bothers you because "ETA" questions bother you, just reply "There never will be any, don't ask.", but please don't blame people like me who are very excited to ask again if an ETA is reached, it is not meant to bother you, it is not meant to make preassure on you, it is meant as what it is...excitement

EDIT: I just saw on the first page "We never provide an ETA" seems like i have not read it i am sorry but anyway since there was one my reply above still applied, it also is meant to be more generalized because as said it may apply to others. Sorry for bothering, i will not ask for an ETA again.

Reactions: XTI
HI. I see Obsidian 18.0.23 is available now. I realize this question has been problematic here, but I am wondering what is the status of CentOS 8 support. I've followed the change logs as was recommended last year some time but have only seen 1 commit. The Plesk Team is working hard and that's a given, being that Plesk is awesome and reliable. Yet, Plesk isn't used just by people in basements that troll developers. Plesk is also used by professional developers/shops who have clients and want an idea on how to plan, time activities and resources, maybe participate in a Beta; you know normal developer stuff. You have a great product, actually its wonderful but the questions we ask here aren't any different than asked anywhere else in the world of tech development. Thanks again for your great work.

Guys, the work on CentOS 8 support turned out to be much more difficult than expected. Therefore, the support release is still delayed. Please be patient. We do everything to make you happy with the result of our work.

Just a short commentary, no offenses are meant by this, whether implied or implicit:

I think one of the social factors in people's impatience with this new CentOS 8 support stems from the overall long-standing pressure put on people in forums (mainly by other users, but sometimes by staff) to always be using the latest/greatest software of all kinds, at all times. I was using a CentOS 6.9 server up until about 1.5 years ago and I can't tell you how many times issues I wrote about were only met with answers like "Why are you still using that software. You should be using _______ modern version." After hearing this over and over it begins to affect people, and some turn to manic OCD-like states of bleeding edge upgrade practices. This attitude may be what we see in this thread more than anything. Just an observation from my field of view. :)

That said, I have to say I seriously appreciate all that the Plesk staff do to keep things running as well as they do in the product and in these forums. And thanks, IgorG for the many times you have personally helped me solve situations I've had.

If I can afford to express my point of view, support for centos 8 is not simply for the fun of having the latest version, but it is also an economic and commercial issue.

For example, I have customers with old machines with centos 6. Support for centos 6 will end in November 2020. They rightly want to update these machines and install centos 8. They don't want centos 7, a six-year operating system, which will end the full update phase at the end of 2020. It is reasonable.

However, until plesk cannot be installed on centos 8, I cannot do this upgrade and every day of delay represents a cost, an inefficiency.

For this I would simply ask, not a release date, but if at least it is possible to have an estimate of the time it could take ... are there any chances of having support in February? Will it take at least six months? one year?
Because if I know it could take another year, I could suggest using ubuntu 18.04 instead of centos 8. It is simply to schedule the job.
Thanks anyway for the excellent work done.

However, until plesk cannot be installed on centos 8, I cannot do this upgrade and every day of delay represents a cost, an inefficiency.

I am kinda in the same boat. I have some clients awaiting and i am delaying them since December. I want to emphasize that this is not Plesk issue at all it's mine thing to deal and it's all about my decision. It would be cool to know some timeframe. If this turn to be more then two months from today - then i'll simply go with Centos 7 on new server and deal with this later. I'll migrate to Centos 8 later then. Though it will be a lot more work.

So i am not making any stress or something, just curious what timeframe we are speaking about? Q1, Q3? Anything? If timeframe is impossible to predict i will totally understand that and will make my decision based on that - then.

All the best.

this is not Plesk issue at all it's mine thing to deal and it's all about my decision
Agreed. Also in a holding pattern and like you its by choice. We do clean installs per policy and potentially needing at least 1 or 2 new installs, it just makes sense to wait.

For example, I have customers with old machines with centos 6. Support for centos 6 will end in November 2020. They rightly want to update these machines and install centos 8. They don't want centos 7, a six-year operating system, which will end the full update phase at the end of 2020. It is reasonable.

I can only agree.
In some cases there can also be a large number of Centos 6 servers used for shared hosting.
The change from one server alone is a great effort and time-consuming.
It is understandable that you should migrate from Centos 6 to 8 reasonably so that you do not have this effort again in 2024 as in the case of Centos 7.
Centos 8 would be at rest until 2029 :)

Will it take at least six months? a year?

If we get this information, it would be important for our planning.

Hello, thank you for all your helpful comments on here.

I have been waiting to deploy a new Plesk server, thinking that CentOS 8 will be supported further in the future.

If I build a new server on Obsidian and CentOS 7.x, will I be able to do an in-place upgrade to 8 later on? (or, is that just a bad idea anyway?)

Thanks again.

If I build a new server on Obsidian and CentOS 7.x, will I be able to do an in-place upgrade to 8 later on?

an in-place upgrade like e.g. at debian is not officially available at centos. therefore plesk does not support this either.
create the new server e.g. with debian there you can upgrade

an in-place upgrade like e.g. at debian is not officially available at centos. therefore plesk does not support this either.
create the new server e.g. with debian there you can upgrade
Thank you for your help.

CloudLinux 8, which is of course based on CentOS 8 will be released next week between the 10th and 13th of February.

Hoping that CloudLinux 8 support will land together with CentOS 8 support in Plesk and there will be no further delay for supporting CloudLinux after CentOS?

Back