• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk backups/dumps question

Red Paint

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

Looking in the backup directory there are server wide backups e.g. backup_201310090207.tar there are also folders for "clients" and "domains" and also files for mysql backups.

I *think* the clients and domains folders contain backups initiated by clients themselves and the server wide backup initiated with
Code:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup server --skip-logs  --output-file="/var/lib/psa/dumps/pleskbackup_"`date +\%Y\%m\%d\%H\%M`.tar
should contain mysql databases AND all client data (including email and website files).

Am I correct in thinking this, it's not entirely clear from the docs? If so is it safe, when looking at backing up for disaster recovery to exclude backing up the "clients" and "domains" folders?

Many thanks

My understanding is that weather server wide or client initiated, the clients / domains / reseller folders store the respective backup files.

Hello Abdi,

If a backup tar file amounts to around 18GB then I imagine it contains website data - I'm just not sure if it contains email and databases or not. I *think* /var/lib/psa/dumps/clients and /var/lib/psa/dumps/domains are only used to store client initiated backups although I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after my clarification.

Thanks

After plesk finishes to run a full server back up, it tars the entire folder structure for remote ftp transfer, and under normal circumstances the tar file gets deleted after the transfer...If it's there, then most likely the transfer failed ...

Hello Abdi,

As you can see from my post I'm not using the GUI and from what I can see the tar file would only be deleted *if* I was using the GUI to set it up and initiate a transfer. Since I'm using the command line it won't be deleted.

That said you have confirmed that the full server backup contains the entire folder structure however I'm still unclear if the full server backup contains mysql dumps and mail directories?

Thanks
Andy

Back